Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2000, 03:15 PM

Default Console Suggestions?

I am looking into getting a larger format console for sort of a "front end" to PT.

I am looking at probably no more than around $10,000.

32 channels with great mic pre's and prefferably with parametric eq's, 8 bus and direct outs....and on and on and on.

Anyone using a similar board that they absolutely love?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-17-2000, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Console Suggestions?

I would mabey go for a Soundcraft Ghost or a Allen & Heath G3000 and augnment it with a few mic pre's IE:

API 3421 ( 4 x mic pre's, great for getting a kit into PT)

I am afraid you won't get a desk full 'of great mic pres' you will get OK eq's on each channel, but you will want to bypass the mic pre's and use world class ones for all overdubs...If you do a live band, Kick, snare and overheads via an API are all you need!

A second hand Amek Angela might be cute! But not if it kept breaking down.

Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited April 17, 2000).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-17-2000, 11:40 PM

I totally agree with Jules — bang for the buck, Soundcraft pre's and EQ's (either Ghost or a good clean used 6000, for example) are very hard to beat. Coupled with an API 3124 or a couple of Neve 1272's (no EQ, but WONDERFUL pre's), you can begin to get some of the sounds you're hearing in your head, and stay within your budget. Another SLIGHTLY more expensive option is a Trident 24 - the pre's sound great when you run 'em just a TINY bit into the red, and the Trident EQ is pretty big around. For your high-buck channels, also consider the Focusrite ISA115 - 2 great pre/EQs; though not cheap, you'll find yourself using them ALL the time! Good luck.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 04-18-2000, 01:41 AM

Hi ProTool 1, check my post 'Sell & Buy' in the Buy and Sell section. Eventually email me directly at [email protected] and we can discuss it !
Old 04-18-2000, 11:03 AM

Thanks!, I've got a rack of pre's, including a pair of 1272's - I just feel naked without a board (it's what i'm used to)but I still wanted great pre's in the board (for obvious reasons). Does the soundcraft have parametric eq's?

Thanks alot guys.
Old 04-18-2000, 02:24 PM

Jules is talking bollocks as usual!!
The way to go would be a Huntley and Palmers
console (which you should be able to pick up for two-bags-o-sand-half-a-yard-and-a-long-'un from Clerkenwell market of a Saturday morning) coupled with "Golden Virginia" mic pre's, which are as rare as rocking horse poo
...but findable....if you can spare the time and effort................................
THEN...you'd have a truly "fork-off" rig

Old 04-18-2000, 11:33 PM

ProTool1 — The Soundcraft Ghost has parametric Hi-mid & Lo-mid, with fixed frequency top & bottom (don't remember if bottom is switchable between 60/120). Though the Ghost EQ is more versatile, it's also more clinical (read Yamaha, Tascam), not as sweet and musical compared to the 6000 or Trident 24. However, still a good piece for the $$. As for boards I absolutely love, they start at about 4 times your specified budget (sorry…) and go (way) up from there - you know the food group!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 04-19-2000, 04:15 AM

"but I still wanted great pre's in the board (for obvious reasons)".

You wont get this with your buget, but on a cheery note once a signal is rocking through your board at LINE level you can enjoy the eq benefits described above, the trick is to get it to line level with a V expencive mic pre!
But you only need a few of them!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 07-28-2000, 11:54 PM

FYI — here's some new info for a dormant thread — at Summer NAMM last week end, I happened to see something perfectly fitting for this situation.

Malcolm Toft, one of the designers originally responsible for the Trident A Range consoles & 80B consoles (can you say fast, warm & fat?!) currently has a company called MTA under the parent ownership of Joe Meek/Trident. MTA is building a full-size desk called the 980. The pre's and EQ are designed after the 80B's, except that the new pre's are quieter (!!) and all four EQ bands are sweepable (!!!).

Here's the kicker… they're also building a small desk to compete in the home recording/small studio market. It has a footprint only slightly larger than a Mackie 8-buss, with a full control room section, inline monitoring, pots and switches that have some heft to them, 24 busses, 8 aux sends, and uses exactly THE SAME pre's and EQ's as the 980 desks, but with a list price of $13,000… As a fan of the Trident whomp, this is very good news indeed!

In the NAMM environment you can't get a good listen to anything, but the litte guy looked & felt very solid, and the pedigree is certainly there for a wonderfully open-sounding desk with a very high bang-for-buck ratio!!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 07-29-2000, 09:22 PM

SOUNDCRAFT 6000 CONSOLE FOR SALE
DESCRIPTION: One of the last Great analog midsize Split format english consoles. Price in 1990 was 30K

FEATURES: 24 Buss * 30 mic inputs * 54line inputs * 4band EQ (2 sweepable mids) * 6 Aux Sends * 24 20seg LED meters * Solo / Solo in place and Mute buss * 400 point Patchbay (including 64points for outboard FX)

SIZE : 6' X 3' X 2'

CONDITION: Very good - Used in small smoke free studio - Contacts and Switches cleaned on a regular maintainance schedule (No Scratchy Faders)- Cosmeticaly, all console silk screening still intact- Silkscreening on buttons are mostly worn off. Only 1 pot not working.

PRICE: $10,000

Makes a lovely Holiday gift for professional music production or radical left wing propaganda recording.
Contact Tom at:
305-255-3889
[email protected] www.NaturalSoundRecording.com