How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Trouble installing - advice needed

Hi,
I've just bought a Digidelivery LT (not even registered yet but want to do some background research before I bother Tech Support).

We're on a single static IP which comes in through a terrible to configure Speedtouch ADSL2 mode/router/firewall into a 24 port Netgear Gigabit managed switch.

I just wanted to get the thing powered up and do a little trial setup before some questions I could do with help with further down the page. I connected the Mac I was using to configure it to LAN2 and the company network to LAN1. Powered up and I could get to the setup wizard on 192.168.0.1 no problem, setup its IP address for 192.168.1.250 (as our network appears to be 192.168.1.X) and the other items (no hostname yet but was just seeing what it was like to setup). It then says it's going to restart and I sat for ages waiting for it... I then tried to get at it via http://192.168.1.250 across the LAN (on LAN1) and could see it. It's taken me ages to find out that http://192.168.0.1 is only guaranteed to work on first install and after that any connection on LAN2 needs to be checked for the Digidelivery assigned IP address/router address. It'd be good if the docs were updated to reflect this as I couldn't find it anywhere.

Onto the main problem I have:
I have a Linux server sitting on the LAN that receives SSH port 22 traffic, how can I make both boxes co-exist? Do I need to get a second static IP address? I also potentially have a webserver running here that will need 80 and 443, same question?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Pete
Old 11-19-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Trouble installing - advice needed

Pete,

Chris Markle here from Aspera...
Quote:

I just wanted to get the thing powered up and do a little trial setup before some questions I could do with help with further down the page. I connected the Mac I was using to configure it to LAN2 and the company network to LAN1. Powered up and I could get to the setup wizard on 192.168.0.1 no problem, setup its IP address for 192.168.1.250 (as our network appears to be 192.168.1.X) and the other items (no hostname yet but was just seeing what it was like to setup). It then says it's going to restart and I sat for ages waiting for it... I then tried to get at it via http://192.168.1.250 across the LAN (on LAN1) and could see it. It's taken me ages to find out that http://192.168.0.1 is only guaranteed to work on first install and after that any connection on LAN2 needs to be checked for the DigiDelivery assigned IP address/router address. It'd be good if the docs were updated to reflect this as I couldn't find it anywhere.

Onto the main problem I have:
I have a Linux server sitting on the LAN that receives SSH port 22 traffic, how can I make both boxes co-exist? Do I need to get a second static IP address? I also potentially have a webserver running here that will need 80 and 443, same question?

Regarding the change of IP address on LAN2... If you set LAN1 to an address in the 192.168 range (as you did), then the LAN2 IP address is switched to a different address range. I believe that in your case it would be in the 172.165 range. Since LAN2 will still serve the IP address via DHCP this shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't specifically try to connect back to 192.168.0.1. I agree that the doc should make this more clear and I will note that in a bug report.

As for your main problem, you can share an existing static IP address as long as no other host on the the network is receiving data for any of the forwarded ports. In your case, it sounds like you do have other hosts receiving data for the forwarded ports (i.e, someone getting port 22 and someone else getting 80 & 443), so you WILL need a second static IP.

Chris