Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 08:04 PM

Default Re: AM radio sound and that elusive "POCKET" sound...

(all of the above)...since you're a live sound guy and not afraid of cable.

BTW- Has anyone experienced the Joe Meek 'Fathead'? I've been outta the loop lately...anyone heard one?

I think the eg unit is the MQ3.

BTW- I've heard of more than one guy using the RE-20 straight into the 001 pre...just for simplicity sake..even with Avalons, etc available- with no regrets. But, it still may be worth it to go with the API- a proven combo.

BTW- that studio I mentioned was using a C-12 w/ the API, but I believe the tube has the same capsule?
.02 more
Old 09-18-2002, 09:08 AM

Shaggy and all, the Lanois-produced Emmylou Harris disk you speak of is called "Wrecking Ball" (and the Neil Young song covered is called "Wreckin Ball") and yes, it is BEAUTIFUL music, swampy, angelic, even a little creepy at times. Great players and guest cameos, great songs/writers on it. I've been listening to it regularly for years without even thinking about the production. I appreciate getting a new perspective on it, Shaggy!
Old 09-18-2002, 02:34 PM

Well, opinions differ....I saw Emmylou live here in Switzerland 2 years ago with Buddy Miller on guitar and it was incredible, 'Deeper Well' was a standout, I got 'Wrecking Ball' after that and I didn't like it that much. That said, Lanois is without any doubt a great producer ( 'Yellow Moon' by the Neville Bros and Dylan's 'Time out of mind' are my faves)....but Lanois is also somebody who pretty much puts his sound on the artists.
Anyway, everything can be an inspiration but given that the original theme of this post was starting out with PT, I'd rather go for dry, old school stuff, check out Stax records or check out Steely Dan's 'Aja', I recently got the remastered CD and it's simply mindblowing...both musically and sonically.

Andi
Old 09-18-2002, 03:46 PM

...am I impaired? I think so, yeah 'Wrecking Ball'. Maybe there's a wishing well song on it, it was a while back. But like I said, it bothered the heck out of a mix engineer I know, who's into that hi-fi dry sound.

But, hey, with a hi end deficient Otari or whatever, you can still do marvelous things?
Old 09-18-2002, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shaggy:
...am I impaired? I think so, yeah 'Wrecking Ball'. Maybe there's a wishing well song on it, it was a while back. But like I said, it bothered the heck out of a mix engineer I know, who's into that hi-fi dry sound.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There is a McGarrigle Sisters song on it that has a line about a wishing well, I think. Older "dry" stuff like Dan or great Muscle Shoals isn't dry like that new bone-dry sound, to me. (Which seems like an easy sound to get PT-wise) But I DO live in dread of the 80's version of "wet" coming back!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doorknocker:
Well, opinions differ....I saw Emmylou live here in Switzerland 2 years ago with Buddy Miller on guitar and it was incredible, 'Deeper Well' was a standout, I got 'Wrecking Ball' after that and I didn't like it that much.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">She has a good live record out with that band called "Spyboy." Bigger versions of the Wrecking Ball tunes, but I prefer the studio versions -- must be the "first time" phenomenon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 05:39 AM

hey Man,

welcome to the world of studio vs live gig. It will come. I came from the live sound thing and it is a totally dif. world. your thinking will change and your methods will change. so, to start, a couple of questions....

1. do the mixes sound good in your basement, then when you burn a cd and take them out sound bad. If so, maybe its a room issue. If you covered your insulation with plastic, you are most likely getting some high, slap back that might cause you to cut your highs....

2. If you have standing waves in the room around 200 - 400 hz, you might be cutting the lows to make it sound right.

3. together these are the same freq. you cutt to get that am sound. Since you do not want them........ just a thought.

4. The pre in the digi 001 is not bad. I agree with the previous post. If you are going to upgrade don't unless you are going to go the 1k range of pre's....... i know there are other opinions.

5. What cables are you using from your mic to pre? is there a bass roll off on that mic? if so, set it to 0 and try. or vise versa at 150 or 75.

6. Last, how does the mic sound on your voice? maybe not singing, but talking. When you talk into the mic recorded with the same settings as your female artist, mix, bounce, and burn a cd. Does it still sound like you? if so, maybe the mic isn't right for her voice. Maybe it's her.

This is by no means everything to check and do. It's just a starter and some basic trouble shooting stuff to look at. Hope any of this helps. Hang in there it does get easier......then you really start doing it for a living and it gets hard again. sorry.

j
Old 09-19-2002, 08:17 AM

You guys are gonna love my new release "Music to De-Flea By"---sopped in conviluted, too thick reverb.

...so much so the fleas jump ship.

One more chime in. Distressor? Can you rent one?