Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-03-2019, 05:14 AM

Default Track presets 2019.6

Really liking the track presets feature - no more using the 'track preset hack' that was used in PT 11. However I do/did have an issue - the new track dialog box couldn't see those presets I created. Kind of disappointed as I didn't want to have to re-create what I had done. After a little detective work I found out that in PT2019.6 the track presets have a .ptxp suffix and the ones I created in PT11 had a .ptxt suffix. Once I changed all the suffixes from .ptxt to .ptxp 2019.6 could see every one.

I seem to remember a discussion here about getting the old track presets that were created using the hack to work in modern PT versions but couldn't find it. I tried using the forum search function searching for 'track preset' and every variation I tried did not return results for that phrase. Thought I knew how to do such searches but the method seems to have eluded me. Can someone have pity on this poor soul and help me here? Thanks.

That being said I do have another question:
Does anybody really use the Avid track presets the installer put in? I ask because I don't use the stock plugins that come with PT. Thinking of just moving them out of the folder they're in to another folder with a note saying where they come from so I have an idea of what's what.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Track presets 2019.6

I use them, but that's only bc I just bought a new laptop and pro tools for myself so I didnt have to drive an hour to where I was recording anymore. So the stocks are all I have, which kind of sucks bc all my sessions that engineer sent me have all third party plug ins that I dont have so I gotta re do the mixes lol. But if you dont use them the folder sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Really liking the track presets feature - no more using the 'track preset hack' that was used in PT 11. However I do/did have an issue - the new track dialog box couldn't see those presets I created. Kind of disappointed as I didn't want to have to re-create what I had done. After a little detective work I found out that in PT2019.6 the track presets have a .ptxp suffix and the ones I created in PT11 had a .ptxt suffix. Once I changed all the suffixes from .ptxt to .ptxp 2019.6 could see every one.

I seem to remember a discussion here about getting the old track presets that were created using the hack to work in modern PT versions but couldn't find it. I tried using the forum search function searching for 'track preset' and every variation I tried did not return results for that phrase. Thought I knew how to do such searches but the method seems to have eluded me. Can someone have pity on this poor soul and help me here? Thanks.

That being said I do have another question:
Does anybody really use the Avid track presets the installer put in? I ask because I don't use the stock plugins that come with PT. Thinking of just moving them out of the folder they're in to another folder with a note saying where they come from so I have an idea of what's what.
I am trying to remember if I did new presets when I switched, I may have as I don't have that many (maybe 5)
In any case NO I use no Avid presets at all,,,all session templates and track presets are all user created .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMad03 View Post
I use them, but that's only bc I just bought a new laptop and pro tools for myself so I didnt have to drive an hour to where I was recording anymore. So the stocks are all I have, which kind of sucks bc all my sessions that engineer sent me have all third party plug ins that I dont have so I gotta re do the mixes lol. But if you dont use them the folder sounds like a good idea.
Back in my PT10 days I used (or tried to use) some of the stock plugins. They're okay if you don't have anything else but I got used to certain third party plugins I had on my Windows/Sonar system so once I got confident that PT10 was working okay I found updated versions of my old plugins for use on my then-new iMac. Took all of two months to make that decision. Ever since then it's been all third party except for when I use the Avid-supplied Trim plugin.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am trying to remember if I did new presets when I switched, I may have as I don't have that many (maybe 5)
In any case NO I use no Avid presets at all,,,all session templates and track presets are all user created .
Did you wipe out or just move the Avid created presets out of the folder?

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:41 AM

Yeah it wont be long til I get some myself lol. I have no idea why I did not think about that when I was getting my own stuff. The 7 band eq that comes stock isnt too bad, but yeah he used alot of waves plug ins. I've been eyeing some izotope stuff also. I'll prolly pick some up in the next couple months.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
... I tried using the forum search function searching for 'track preset' and every variation I tried did not return results for that phrase. Thought I knew how to do such searches but the method seems to have eluded me. Can someone have pity on this poor soul and help me here? Thanks. ...
Type this in the URL space:

search duc.avid.com: track presets
Old 08-03-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Did you wipe out or just move the Avid created presets out of the folder?
Neither, the Avid presets are still listed in the tracks preset dropdown, I just made another Folder (in the "Track Presets" folder) and labeled it "Kev's Presets" and made that folder the destination when creating my presets. So now the dropdown shows both but I only click on Kev's when using it

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Neither, the Avid presets are still listed in the tracks preset dropdown, I just made another Folder (in the "Track Presets" folder) and labeled it "Kev's Presets" and made that folder the destination when creating my presets. So now the dropdown shows both but I only click on Kev's when using it
My deal is I don't want to see the Avid presets. I'm used to the workflow I developed in PT 11.3.2 using the new track keyboard shortcut and navigating through that to my presets. I can still do that but then I have to deal with all the stuff Avid installed. Why should I have to do that? I don't like using the mouse if I don't have to and have gotten used to keyboard shortcuts for most things. Faster and it doesn't aggravate my carpal tunnel.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
My deal is I don't want to see the Avid presets. I'm used to the workflow I developed in PT 11.3.2 using the new track keyboard shortcut and navigating through that to my presets. I can still do that but then I have to deal with all the stuff Avid installed. Why should I have to do that? I don't like using the mouse if I don't have to and have gotten used to keyboard shortcuts for most things. Faster and it doesn't aggravate my carpal tunnel.
Huh? you asked me the question "Did you wipe out or just move the Avid created presets out of the folder?" I gave you my answer "neither"

I am not certain we are are the same page here, when I make another folder ( Kev's) inside the Pro Tools > Track Presets "folder" I then have two folders in Track Presets , one is labeled "Kevs" and the other is labeled "Avid" If I select "Kevs" in the track type dropdown then I no longer see any Avid presets in the presets dialog dropdown window ?????????????
So for me there is no issue of seeing or dealing with Avids presets am I missing something

You can alway try making a folder with your presets so it shows in the presets section of the track type dropdown window (first),,, then try moving the Avid folder out .

The path is Finder>Documents> Pro Tools> Track Presets ...It will have the "Avid" folder already there, then just make a another folder with you name or whatever.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 08-03-2019 at 01:09 PM.