Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Phantom turning off

My C24 has in the last couple of weeks been messing up. For some reason a couple of times a day it stops feeding phantom to the mics. To get it to turn on again I have to shift from mic to line and back. It doesn't care which preamp I do this on. Anyone else had this problem?
Oh and it has also started to introduce the "helicopter" rumble on some mics from the phantom that is mentioned in another thread Phantom problems
This is especially present on a D112, SM57 & AKG solidtubes. Neither of them needs phantom but because of the grouping of the phantom I have to leave it on. These mic's has never had problems with phantom on other consoles.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Phantom turning off

Hi,

Unfortunately the pre amps on the C24 aren't the hi-quality type that most pro tool users would choose! they are there for those that don't have better or have run out of goodies. a bank of good quality outboard pre's would be a good investment? especially if you have top mics going into them.

Your problem may well be ralated to the obligitory power supply problem that everyone experiences at some time! the connectors on the PSU do work a bit loose and can arc or even loose contact completely, this can cause the logic board to freeze etc.

remove the PSU and clean all the contacts and make sure they are making a good tight clean contact. Make sure you label the conectors before removing them.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Phantom turning off

Thanks for the answer Crisdee.

I feared it was the powersupply issue haunting me. It's still under warranty and since I can't do without it for a couple of weeks I have to live with it so far.
I have external preamps but for live tracking it's annoying that I have to fake around the problem.