Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Are legacy licenses included with 2018.x perpetual license?

I recently purchased and installed Pro Tools 2018 on my Windows 8.1 machine with a perpetual license, which works fine on any other computer with 2018.x installed. However, versions 11 and 12 do not recognize the license on my iLok as valid, and gives me the activation screen upon launching the program. When I enter my credentials, I am told that "there are no licenses in my account, there are no activations available, no pending deliveries, may need to visit Avid website to get a license deposited... etc.".

I gave Avid support a call after trying to update the iLok software and syncing the licenses on the computer I was using, and they told me that I was only entitled to version 2018. This doesn't seem to be correct, as the iLok License Manager tells me that my perpetual license's Version Limit includes "Versions released on or before 1/25/2019", and I have versions 10.1 to 11.3 downloadable under My Products and Downloads on Avid's website.

Does this coincide with everyone else's experiences regarding a Pro Tools Perpetual License, or am I having some sort of problem?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Are legacy licenses included with 2018.x perpetual license?

Welcome to the community.

The rep was correct - new purchases include the current version. If you were upgrading then a license bundle for 10.0/higher is provided since you would have been running an older version and might need access to that for 32-bit, RTAS, etc.

The Release Limit establishes the newest future version that the license will authorize, doesn't mean that it will authorize all older versions. (A "Pro Tools Perpetual" license can technically only authorize 12.6 or higher.)

The download group seems to be shared by both, so I'll ask Avid IT to look into splitting these.

Please check out the Pro Tools Licensing FAQ for more info.