Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Re: CPU spikes? NO! ***sigh*** yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
128 at 44.1 has been the HD standard value for native processing, why would you want to track "faster" than that?
The system always worked at 128 @ 88.2. Not sure why I shouldn't expect it to continue to do so.

Currently it doesn't work at 128 @ 44.1 either.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontif View Post
The system always worked at 128 @ 88.2. Not sure why I shouldn't expect it to continue to do so.

well that's a good benchmark. but if it does work at 128 buffer (actually 256) at standard 44.1 sampling rate i would not complain much
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontif View Post

In the end, the system has always been capable of 64 @ 44.1 or 128 @ 88.2

Now that it isn't (with no changes to the hardware or software), that suggests it's not working right. Which ultimately is bound to become system crashes in the middle of takes...which hasn't happened to me in I can't remember how many years.

If it's not working right, "good enough" isn't good enough, IMO.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM

good enough is always good enough.

i personally wouldn't mind if it worked with 1 sample buffer (which would mean spikes whenever i use lookahead plugins) or a sample buffer that is good enough for the plugins i use. most of all i'm interested in the latency that makes it impossible for an artist to monitor oneself, which is usually 256@48

EDIT: 256@48 is perfectly fine (without latency plugins) and if I have a HD system I have to calculate HD latency (samples) plus native buffer. which is why 128@48 is standard for HD as itsn't generally a problem
Old 11-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
good enough is always good enough.

i personally wouldn't mind if it worked with 1 sample buffer (which would mean spikes whenever i use lookahead plugins) or a sample buffer that is good enough for the plugins i use. most of all i'm interested in the latency that makes it impossible for an artist to monitor oneself, which is usually 256@48

EDIT: 256@48 is perfectly fine (without latency plugins) and if I have a HD system I have to calculate HD latency (samples) plus native buffer. which is why 128@48 is standard for HD as itsn't generally a problem
Well like I said, the system isn't working right, and so far the inability to run a small buffer is but one symptom. Just trying to get back to the system's long-established baseline.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:59 PM

"Also, disable all the RME instances in Control Panel>Sounds, both Playback and Recording, leaving the onboard sound card for Windows sounds/audio. (Actually you should turn off Windows sounds.)

--Tried that to no avail. It's done in the RME control panel..."number of WDM devices." Set it to zero but no joy."

I'm not talking about any settings in the RME software, rather in Windows>Control Panel>Sound. There you disable any and all to do with the RME interface and leave your onboard sound card for any other audio besides Pro Tools and the RME only for Pro Tools. And while there, under Sounds, set it to "No Sounds".
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-13-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
"Also, disable all the RME instances in Control Panel>Sounds, both Playback and Recording, leaving the onboard sound card for Windows sounds/audio. (Actually you should turn off Windows sounds.)

--Tried that to no avail. It's done in the RME control panel..."number of WDM devices." Set it to zero but no joy."

I'm not talking about any settings in the RME software, rather in Windows>Control Panel>Sound. There you disable any and all to do with the RME interface and leave your onboard sound card for any other audio besides Pro Tools and the RME only for Pro Tools. And while there, under Sounds, set it to "No Sounds".
I see. I was confused because there is a setting in the RME control panel that determines how many inputs and outputs are available to Windows. It's 15 by default. Rather than be disabled in Windows sound control panel, the outputs can be made not to appear at all. That's what I was thinking about.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM

The latest is that ProTools won't work right with the RME, and it won't work with the little PreSonus thing I just bought. Even when ProTools is NOT playing, any audio monitored though PT is garbled. When playing MIDI into PT with an instrument track enabled, and ProTools NOT playing, the output is garbled. I have done everything suggested here short of a clean install of Windows.

Studio One is having no problem with any of it.

Completely at a loss and questioning how much I really need ProTools with all the other options out there.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 AM

Several thoughts.

I wonder if it's possible to counce a bit of something and post it on Soundcloud or whatever streaming service you use. Perhaps it will trigger someone's memory banks and come up with something?

I've had conflicts between various audio platforms resolved before by getting rid of "ghosts". It's kind of an old thing from 10+ years ago that I found on Sound on Sound. Not even sure if it's still recommended, but it's part of UAD's uninstall procedure for at least my current interface. Basically, open up Device manager, click View -> Show Hidden Devices, and then look in the Sound and Audio and Inputs folder for any grayed out devices and uninstall.

The third thing relates to the second or can be done on it's own. My interface has an article on uninstalls that goes beyond simply removing the app by traditional methods. It has specific folders to delete/save elsewhere and the tip about deleting what I call ghosts above. I wonder if RME has such an article in their archives or user community?

An extension of sorts to uninstalling. I've used the Trasher app and CCleaner(free) to simply wipe the slate clean after an uninstall. CCleaner has a nifty option of scanning the registry. (it will ask you if you want to back up the registry first - nice safety feature).

Oh, and I've had to uninstall ASIO4ALL before. The interfaces' installation includes what's needed already from what I understand.

Perhaps a final collective thought. The many things ar once approach in case two things are not as they should be.
By steps:
#1:Make sure all sound devices are disabled in Control Panel -> Sounds and the sounds folder in Device Manager.
#2 Uninstall PT, RME, ASIO4ALL.
#3: Deep cleaning as discussed above with Trasher, CCleaner, manual deletions.
#4: re-install the latest systems onboard sound drivers. Plug in you speakers and make sure you can play back music. Go into CP->Sounds and set the default speed to 48kHz or whatever you use.
#5: reinstall your Inteface and PT (early morning brainfart - I forget the desired order)

Once could legitimately suggest to include uninstalling and installing plugins with the above list. If it's limited in number, it might be worth it to include in #2. I had to recently uninstall/reinstall all things Izotope.

Oh, and one time, at least, I found my onboard sound's SPDIF was default sound playback with nothing attached. I disabled and a weird overtone I was having disappeared. It was bleeding through a bit.

I hope any of this helps. I really despise the Windows Updates automatic "feature" that seems to bite me every other major update. (April and October?)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 AM

In Windows 10 Pro there used to be a way to disable updates using Group Policy Editor. Not sure if that's still available or not. Or maybe it's still there.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction