Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Default faders due for some kind of service?

Using a rented SC48 for a musical back in November when I first put the SC48 in place and started it up I got an error on fader 11, it wasn’t working properly. It suggested a restart and I did that and it then worked. But I have noticed if I have a timed fade between snapshots some of the faders (as they are slowly moving) look like they aren’t running as smooth as some of the other ones. One of them is fader 11. It worked ok for the show but I just wanted to ask if this means that some of the faders are due for some kind of service?

I told the sound company we rented the mixer from all of this when it happened.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Default Re: faders due for some kind of service?

I have this happen all the time to random faders on our Profile desks. The only reliable fix I have found is to just replace the jerky faders. Our local gear company charges me about $25 a piece for the parts, so it's not a huge expense thankfully. And it's a pretty easy repair job. But we seem to go through about 5 new faders a year so far, and they're installed house desks that don't see any abuse. A bit surprising.

I've heard tales that it's the touch detection that gets messed up from bent fader hangers contacting the sides of the throw slot, but I've carefully inspected all our problem faders and this never seems to actually be the case (they're never bent or contacting the metal in any way).
Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM

Default Re: faders due for some kind of service?

The oldest desk in my town is 5 or is it 6 year old D-Show system. It's an installed system that is well taken care of in the sense that it gets always covered and food and drinks are never allowed near FOH. Due to that there has been no issues with faders whatsoever. Only this fall we did swap couple of faders out cause they just did not feel that smooth anymore.. They started feeling kind of dry and they did get a bit slower than the others. So, keep them desks covered and you should get better mileage out of your faders, no matter if they are installed or touring desks.