Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2000, 01:36 AM

Default Anyone \"concerned\" with this technology?

I just wanted to thank everyone at this site that helped to answer some questions I had about the 001. I feel like I know exactly what I’m getting into, and suspect installation will be smooth. It’s been a great, super-interesting resource.

And now for something completely different...

I thought it would be interesting to get some viewpoints on the state of the current technology, its impact, and where it's heading.

Some of you, like myself, have invested years of time and tons of money into the art, paying heavy dues and heavy bills. We’ve seen some very rapid, mind-boggling leaps in technology recently. And we talked with anticipation about the day when a product like this would be a reality.

And here it is. A 24-bit, 24 track recorder, a virtual rack full of effects, integrated MIDI, automated console, etc. for about $3,000. On the one hand I’m thrilled about it. But I have to admit, I’m a little concerned when I see the same power, that a few years ago we only dreamed of having, being bought into (rightfully so) by people that barely know how to use a microphone.

I don’t mean this in any way to be smart or condescending towards any novices out there! We all had to learn this stuff at some point, and I can definitely appreciate and support anyone who wants to do the same. If the technology and the resources are there for someone with an interest, by all means, let them use it. Let me use it!
They are obviously serious about it (or just have too much money to spend) because currently, setting up a system like this from scratch requires a little more than chump-change. But I stress- currently. Further, for musicians looking for a way to capture and document their ideas, a system like this is a blessing.

I’m not suggesting holding on to the status quo. It’s out of our hands anyway. I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite either, because it’s these same kinds of technological advancements that that enabled me to get in the game. In the ‘70’s, this do-it-yourself approach wouldn’t have been an option. I’m just a little spooked by this all-in-one DAW concept and it’s future ramifications. There seem to be a lot of parallels to what I’m talking about and the concerns that major studios had a few years back when the project studio “revolution” took hold. Some mid-sized studios bit the dust. Fortunately, I think there will always be a need for great sounding rooms and great engineers. But as for the gear, microphone and tube emulation, improved digital specs and the like are closing the gap (oh yeah, I heard rumors about a box or plug-in- I’m not sure- which simulates the specific acoustics of some world reknown studios. So much for the great room theory. Hopefully “Engineer Emulation” isn’t on the horizon. (I’ll take the Bob
Clearmountain stereo-bus plug-in.)).

For beginners, there will still be dues to pay and much to learn, but DAWs like this one, in many ways, are laying everything out for us on a silver platter (just think about how long it took you to understand and rig an efficient patchbay configuration. Now we have...plug-ins). Access to high-quality equipment and tools, once reserved for
world-class studios, then later project studios (i.e., individuals- not companies- willing to invest incredible amounts of their own money, er, credit), will soon, if not already, be available to anyone. I think talent, not gear, will be the name of the game in the future.

I look forward to your thoughts...

Take care and keep the SPLs down,
Curt

[This message has been edited by CCash (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old 01-21-2000, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Anyone \"concerned\" with this technology?

Hi,Curt
Let´s hope they´ll release a whole VST Plug-in bundle containing artists like;Art Blakey,Celine Dion,Elvis,Frank...
Has anybody cracked that SteelyDan/Donald Fagen plug-in yet? I´ll buy,borrow or steal
that one.
Old 01-21-2000, 06:34 AM

Good points, Curt. I've been thinking about this too. I can tell you that I've been working in professional audio for 11 year, and I still feel like I get good mixes about 20 percent of the time. There is a lot to know in this business, and a lot of experience to gain. I think many of us might fear that technology like the 001 will make the playing field a little too "level." I don't want to sound elitist either -- but I guess the key for everyone has to be the quality of the music. No amount of gear can change the essence of musicality, or the wide array of different tastes or preferences. I, like you, am both thilled and a little scared about the 001 and other advances like it; but I guess we may as well just sit back and enjoy.

Thanks for expressing my sentiments.

Glenn
Old 01-21-2000, 06:35 AM

Good points, Curt. I've been thinking about this too. I can tell you that I've been working in professional audio for 11 year, and I still feel like I get good mixes about 20 percent of the time. There is a lot to know in this business, and a lot of experience to gain. I think many of us might fear that technology like the 001 will make the playing field a little too "level." I don't want to sound elitist either -- but I guess the key for everyone has to be the quality of the music. No amount of gear can change the essence of musicality, or the wide array of different tastes or preferences. I, like you, am both thilled and a little scared about the 001 and other advances like it; but I guess we may as well just sit back and enjoy.

Thanks for expressing my sentiments.

Glenn
Old 01-21-2000, 08:40 AM

Nice reading Ccash. I am one of those novices that you speak of, and I find this rapid advancement of technology a blessing.
Before, with tape, an idea could take several hours to hash out, but now, only a matter of minutes. Right now I am using other companies products, but will be making the jump to Digi and PT.

Maybe now that the possibility of getting an entire studio for less money, and saving time during the process, will leave more time for creativity and maybe even more time for our family, friends, and our lives.....

rdp
Old 01-21-2000, 04:41 PM

I hear you CCash ! It's good to see someone cares about these issues as well...
During the last 15 years, I made to move from playing around with loop-tapes and cassette-players to being a 'small business owner', radioproducer and composer.

I also switched camps, so to say: I remember feeling intimidated by 'real composers' with 'real studio's' since I thought I'd never make it that far: technology to me was to key to get there...

But there's more (as you allready pointed out): the experience was not allways pleasant and it takes some 'mind over matter' to stay in the race.
If you feel that maybe Rookies Are Taking Over, just feel confident that not so many even make it that far, without guts, spirit...balls o' steel...

So in fact I'm not saying much different, but I just like to share it with y'all...
Old 01-21-2000, 08:00 PM

Curt:

I am in harmony with your thoughts. If it is any solace, remember quantity is not necessarily quality, availability does not equate to capability, and skill is neither bought with cash, nor does it come easily or cheaply.

[And seriously, there is no pun intended.]
Old 01-21-2000, 08:18 PM

Group Hug !?
Old 01-21-2000, 10:42 PM

Curt,

I think we can all relate to what you are saying.

The 001 is all about making music. One thing that excites me is that the price range puts this gear into the hands of someone who has a great gift in this area, but never had the resources (ie: connections) to get a job a real studio.

There are probably a lot of people who can now make beautiful music that could not other wise afford to.

Of course, there will also be a lot of **** being made, but the good news on that is that usually **** never makes it out to the airwaves.

I think that the 001 is a powerful tool for demo making. The plug-in companies are not there yet, but they will be soon. As computers get faster, the software should become even more powerful to the point with good quality albums can be produced with favorable results.

We've all paid our dues one way or another, but the real test is the talent of the engineer. Anyone with talent and a creative ear can engineer the recording and mixing of a song under the worst conditions.

It's all about experience.

Scott Mills
Sound Mills Productions
Old 01-22-2000, 08:15 AM

Good points, all of you. I agree in all aspects, but at the same time I don't think Formula One racers are worried that 16-year old's are driving sooped-up Honda Civic's, if you know what I mean.