Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 PM

I just checked. Still $449 at my favorite discount retailer. Avid said they are "phasing" it out, but haven't released the full terms or a date, so we have no idea the scope of this thing. There's a whole lotta assumption going on.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Default New Licensing

Typically when a product gets phased out, it's no longer produced, and all that's available is what the retailers have in stock. But either way it sounds like at some point any license that isn't attached to a support plan will be ineligible to have it added. Probably not long after the next "major" release of pro tools.

It's said in the faq that licenses currently priced $699 will not have the support plan included. Even crazier HD hardware purchases don't include a support plan either. As said in the faq.

Guess all HD products may go up $599. But that is def an assumption.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Q. I have Pro Tools HD 8 or earlier software. Am I eligible for the Pro Tools | HD 11 upgrade?
A. No. Pro Tools | HD 11 works with Pro Tools | HDX and Pro Tools | HD Native systems only, though the software can also be used standalone. If you are using Pro Tools HD 8 or earlier software, you can trade up your legacy Pro Tools | HD core system (TDM) and interfaces (“blue”) for a new Pro Tools | HDX system, which includes Pro Tools | HD 11 software and your choice of Pro Tools | HD Series interface, and save up to 40% off. Contact your local authorized Avid reseller to take advantage now or get more details here.

So it sounds like you cant get 10HD any more, contrary to earlier claims in this thread.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
And in the meantime I will probably spend that $199 in logic. Just saying.
Yep. After upgrading to PT11 and going through hell with latency/sync bugs along with unreliable offline bounce bugs, I've already been seriously considering a move to Logic.

If this new yearly price gouge becomes reality, I'm definitely gone.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 PM

I can't keep up with Gearslutz changing the URL link to my thread. Here is the new one https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan...id-strike.html
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 10-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I just checked. Still $449 at my favorite discount retailer. Avid said they are "phasing" it out, but haven't released the full terms or a date, so we have no idea the scope of this thing. There's a whole lotta assumption going on.
It's a done deal. It's mentioned in the official Protools Licensing FAQ.

But again, that wasn't the main point I was trying to make. I'm still trying to figure out what's in store for HD users who don't do the support plan, or let it lapse.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Don't people buy support plans so they can get advise when something goes wrong...or they don't have a clue what they're doing in the first place ?

That may be a naive way of looking at it , but as an individual user I've never had to contact Digi / Avid for any reason whatsoever and I can't imagine ever needing to.

I've always sorted any technical issues myself, be that software or hardware.

Why is this "plan" being foisted upon users if it isn't just an attempt to create a cash cow under the guise of "protection".

It's like Apple saying Applecare is now $599 a year, but you get to email a "Genius" directly as much as you like and you get one free phone call a month.
Oh and we've got some great developments coming up so stay tuned !

The Internet would literally rock with laughter.

Show me a product I can use and I'll buy it.

Until then get your hand out my pocket.

Edit: Actually, scratch that AppleCare analogy, cause with that cover you're guaranteed hardware repair / replacement.
But you get where I'm coming from.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:20 PM

AVID, what a mess... hope you get this thing right and clear quickly. Can't you see this only bad form you?

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM

Wow, just read the official Avid protools upgrade web page.

There it all is in black and white.

What a clusterf*ck !
Old 10-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Default New Licensing

Just my opinion, but I don't see the point in trying to boycott and change things. They have given in before with the CPTK. I still feel that was planned.

"We'll first announce $999 and and if there's no uproar we make more $$$, if they do we can drop the price and look like heroes."

Then there's the whole pro control/ control 24 debacle, that they haven't relented on.

At this point I really don't care if they do change. About the only thing that would entice me to hang around is for them to drop the whole HD/Vanilla scheme and make one unified version where we all have the same features. While making the support plan a unified $199 or less per year, and allow us to pay for said plan when/if the features they add are worth it to the end user. Short of that I am moving on.

At a certain point you realize in some relationships you are being used, and that will never change no matter what the other party promises. They just can't help themselves. It's that point you've got to let go. I still wish avid and anyone that is still using it the best. But I won't be used anymore.