How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-30-2017, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Major disappointment with Xeon E5-2670 system: please help

I have done complete individual tests, as suggested
- created new user account
- created empty sessions in PT, added track by track, testing plugin by plugin I have used in my projects
- trashed preferences etc.
- emptied the plugins folder, added and tested out individual plugins (again, those, that I used in my projects so far)
- reinstalled plugins
- emptied the plugins folder except for the plugins used for that session and then pulled out individual plugins from the plugin folder, so PT would not use them in that session.
etc.

I even, and that imho is part of thorough testing too, did install Win10Pro from scratch without any other PCIE-Cards than the NVS510 graphic card in the system, and using the officially certified Fujitsu/Intel drivers for this hardware to exclude any driver issues - I just wanted to make sure, that it's not the computer's hardware, that is causing the problems. I even did that with a Win7Pro installation.

This was all summarized in the answer "did all suggested test and no indication for problems".

As for being criticized looking at CPU-meters: if Pro Tools refrains from playback by telling me "not enough CPU power, disable plugins", that could tell me two things:
- either, the used plugins are problematic (that's why testing individual plugins is so important, I DO understand that and hope, that I could clarify that point)
- or the number of used plugins exceeds the computers capabilities (which at a certain point will occur naturally at any computer)

That's why I referred to and posted pictures of Pro Tools system usage, to give helpful people in this thread a way to judge the matter from that side (for example "no wonder, if you use 10x plugin A plus plugin B plus... on this number of tracks, your computer just is not able to handle this anymore). But, again, I did get the importance of individual plugin testing.

So back to the abovementioned plugin latency. Running tests - as suggested - with individual plugins. If they do not show problems, when used, if Latency Monitor (as suggested by one poster here) does not warn me, if plugins can be stacked or used on more than one track without problems, I should be good to go?
Will then be the sheer number of usage of this very plugin on multiple tracks be the limiting factor (sometime, the plugin will exceed the computer's powers...)?

iZotope and Slate did not show any signs of "crashing" a new session. I could use them, they were working fine, even used on multiple tracks. No error message from PT. So, how do I go on treating these plugins? Refrain from using them? Or use them sparingly? Should I do something like a DVerb-test to see, how many times I can use one of these plugins in a session until I get an error message from PT?

Speaking of DVerb: I did do a DVerb test (the new version of the test suggested in this forum) to provide you with some information about possible limitations of my hardware. I could go up to PT's internal limit (could not add more tracks) of recording onto 126 "5xDverb-stack"-tracks and still, the sine tone was played without interruption for 5 minutes.

So, what next, how do I proceed from here?
Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Hi,
i'm sorry i may not have enough experience and also i may have missed some info (it's late, i'm french and i read out almost all the thread in the last hour).

If you hadn't already tried to create a new session and created track one by one, assigned plugins one by one, i would have suggested to create a new session and import session data from the previous one.. anyway, you almost did.
Cleaning all the plugins would also have been my first advice.

But now i think of it, you wrote:
"It consists of 37 audio tracks, recorded in 88.2/24, 6 stereo Aux tracks"

-> i run a I7 2600k (sandy bridge if i remember well) with a UAD octo.
i mostly run 48k/24b sessions, and i think using both UAD and native plugins, my system starts to become unstable by about 60 to 70 tracks.
But the load is certainly quite higher with 88.2k processing, especially with native plugins.

I just Wonder if you are not looking for a problem where there is simply a limit in the system usage. 88.2k is not negligeable.

Ron.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Major disappointment with Xeon E5-2670 system: please help

Yes I also used to run 96khz/32bit
But it taxes the system in every way possible

I put it at 44.1khz/24 bit and worry about the song, the composition, the actual recording, the actual mix, the energy of it alll...instead of what SRC and Bit depth I recorded it at.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 01-18-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 AM

For the record, I don't have nearly as powerful a system (its an older z400) and I had the same kind of issues when I tried to use any Waves plugins. No problems without Waves. As a matter of fact, I had to completely uninstall the Waves Central app before it would stop freezing or crashing. I spent hours on the phone with Waves support techs, who tried everything they knew ... they even remoted into the computer to help. The only thing they could come up with is that it's a GPU issue. I'm using a FX1800 with dual monitors, which is one that WAS recommended by Avid. Tried other GPUs and same problem. I hope someone figures out a good solid way to make an affordable list of hardware that will work with PT and the optional plugins. I'm still using 12.4 and Windows 7 because every time I read posts about these problems, it keeps me from going out and spending money on something that won't work as well as what I have now. I have sessions with tons of plugins and channels running now with very little problems. I'm going to upgrade at some point, but I have too many projects going to take the chance right now. Just my 2 cents