Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-30-2014, 09:24 PM

Default DVI -->HDMI vs. Thunderbolt monitor question

So I ordered a Dell U2913WM Ultrawide monitor for my Mac Pro and Pro Tools 11HD setup. I now realize that I may have to settle with the DVI to HDMI connection from the Mac Pro to the monitor. I can refuse the delivery and cancel my order and spend more dollars getting an ultrawide monitor that has built in thunderbolt ports, (LG 34" ultrawide).

My question is....would there be a big advantage going with the thunderbolt connections to the monitor or is the DVI to HDMI connection sufficient to use Pro Tools or should I spend the extra dollars to get the thunderbolt setup?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Re: DVI -->HDMI vs. Thunderbolt monitor question

Since you mention Thunderbolt, I'm assuming you have the new black cylinder Mac Pro.

If that's the case, it has an HDMI output right on it. You would just get an HDMI cable and hook it up.

Besides that, you can use a Thunderbolt cable and go from the Mac Pro's Thunderbolt port to the Mini-Display port on the Dell. Thunderbolt carries the Displayport protocol.

And if you didn't want to do that, you could also just get a Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable, and go from the Thunderbolt port of the Mac Pro to the regular Displayport on the Dell. This basically is the same thing as the previous method, just with a different cable.

If you have the older Mac Pros, then you would just use the Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable and you're good to go.

No matter what, you don't need to mess with DVI at all. And all of those methods will give you full resolution and quality.

If you use the Minidisplayport to Displayport cable, you can find it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...splayPort.html

(they make longer ones too).

But as mentioned, if it's the new black Mac Pro, the simplest way is just a standard HDMI cable.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:26 PM

no advantage in TB over HDMI/DVI, they're on the same bus inside

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-31-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the great info. I did not know if the connection between my (black cylinder) new Mac Pro and the monitor was important with regards to latency and speed of Pro Tools performance. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:15 AM

If you would like to learn about dvi vs hdmi follo this link : http://www.techielens.com/dvi-vs-hdmi-difference/