Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 12:53 AM

Default Do I really need this (fill in the blank)

Gosh, the 002's bevy of plug-ins is so sweet I'm thinking do I really need this big amp sitting around here in my crammed home studio when I could be using the virtual guitar amps in the 002 package.

It's not like I play out or anything, as I thought I would be doing when I bought the Roland AC100 acoustic chorus amp for my Tak 6 string. The amp's nice sounding for what it does, though it's a little "digital" sounding, i.e. you know what I mean... a bit cold....

The things we'll part with when scraping up the cash to grab an 002 "while they're still offering the free plug-in's" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I know it's pathetic, but it crossed my mind. I do have a little '70 Fender Champ Amp Silver that sounds pretty good, might just make that the "live" amp. hmm...
Old 10-09-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Do I really need this (fill in the blank)

a new G4? no, my 6 year old 9600/350 works better than most G4's
Old 10-09-2002, 08:43 AM

osx.
pt6.

no.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:18 PM

Ain't nothin' like the real thing......
Old 10-09-2002, 09:40 PM

if you rush out and grab the 002 for the plugins will the OSX upgrade include OSX plugins for you......I'd hold off selling the amp just yet..... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 11:04 AM

I don't know if I can wait that long. Just sold my VS1880 on ebay, so I'll be w/o and OSX / PT6 sounds like it will be Dec./Jan. before we see it. But you're right, we don't know how those 9.x plug ins are going to migrate across to OSX. Good food for thought, thanks!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:54 PM

I can guarantee that OS9 plugins won't work on OSX v Protools.
My question to Digidesign is "will they provide the OSX versions "free" to the people that just bought a 002 if they upgrade to Protools 6?"
One of the key selling features is the plugs that come bundled with it.....or did they do that knowig that the plugins would be obsolete in 3 months.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:26 PM

Let's see, immediate profit vs. loss of customer goodwill; if I were in digimanagement's shoes, which would it be?

Then again, it's not digi is it, it's the plug in developers decision.

What weight does Digi have to insure a smooth transition for its customers? At least some I would think. Digi is bringing new customers to the table, with the idea there is an upgrade path to a broader functioning version, ie. Sample Tank, who're getting access to a brand new revenue stream.

So Sample Tank is happy they have new migrants to nurture. And if you're ST, your question would be, though they'd never articulate in such crude form, "to gouge or not to gouge."

To us, the conclusion: gouge = serious mistake due to loss of good will from newly acquired upgrade prospects.

But we're not talking about an upgrade, we're talking about a crossgrade migration to OSX from a siimilarly functioning OS9 plug in.

Do you think Sample Tank is going to add new capabilities to its OSX, PT6 plug ins? In the next 3 to 4 months? No, I think they'll just try to get it working on OSX in the first place before the year-end engineered delisting of OS9.

The more I try to wrap my mind around this, the murkier it gets. Somebody illuminate this for us please.