Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Re: internal sata drive doesn´t show up after restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It’s easy to hide drives in the disk util GUI, at least recent versions. Which can cause lots of confusion. I do not know if the OP knows that or exactly what he is seeing, and neither do you. The way to stop dealing with all the uncertainty in this thread that comes from people describing what they see is go to the underlying information in a command line utility. Hard to read screen shots don’t really cut it either.
These 66 year old eyes could read his screen shots no problem.

QAPLA!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
These 66 year old eyes could read his screen shots no problem.
Maybe you need to go take a nap. There is no screenshot posted here that shows anything relevant to what I'm asking (what shows up on the system where it "does not mount"). I pity the poor OP tying to get help here and having so far three pages of unhelpful waffle, and sometimes outright bad advice, thrown at them.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Well the issue is either the drive or the operating system/actual mount command trying to mount it. Since the drive mounts OK on another OS instance you know it's likely not the drive. So trying to reformat it, or worse mess with EFI partitions etc. is all likely a waste of time.

Does Disk Utility show the disk partitions greyed out? or not at all? Make sure they are not "hidden" in the disk utility UI. Does the boot disk and any other drives show up OK there? Does System Information see the disk under SATA? (if not it's not a mount issue).

When you say the drive is not mounted exactly how are you telling that? Icon just not showing up on the desktop? Or what else *exactly*?

Paste here all the output from the "diskutil list" and "mount" commands run in Terminal.
thank you for trying to help me !

after starting the mac this morning (here in germany now it´s about 10:00 am) all ist working okay. I didn´t change anything. But I´m not sure if this issue will not come back

I try to answer your questions hopefully the right way, only to be clear I make a conclusion:

after the mac was completely shut down and then boot up ... all drives (all internal sata in Mac Pro 2009 firmware flashed to 2010) come up. I then can see them all in disk utility (not greyed out), in system information and they appear on desktop.

If I set the startvolume to another drive (I have a dual boot system, Sierra - Mavericks) all drives come up again except the WD 4TB drive. In disk utility all drives are visible except this very one (even not greyed out). also nothing is hidden in disk utility. same under system information.

strange thing is if I do a restart from the currently active startvolume the drive doesn´t disappear.

Sadly I can only run the terminal commmands that you ask for when this issue does not occur, since it´s working now

Last login: Tue Nov 20 10:00:58 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac HD 999.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 784.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: Apple_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS 500 Giga 1.0 TB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac HD - Mavericks 999.3 GB disk2s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk2s3

/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS POOL 749.8 GB disk3s2

/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *4.0 TB disk4
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS POOL 2 4.0 TB disk4s2

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *8.0 GB disk6
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk6s1
2: Apple_HFS FLASH-DRIVE 7.7 GB disk6s2

Last login: Tue Nov 20 10:01:25 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ mount
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/POOL (hfs, local, journaled)
/dev/disk1s3 on /Volumes/500 Giga (hfs, local, journaled)
/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/Mac HD - Mavericks (hfs, local, journaled)
/dev/disk4s2 on /Volumes/POOL 2 (hfs, local, journaled)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
/dev/disk6s2 on /Volumes/FLASH-DRIVE (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 AM

OK thanks for the info. But since they are mounting OK you are right that it does not help sort out what was happening when it did not work. But that it does work excludes some things like corrupted device entries in the /dev filesystem.

What is happening under the covers is disk partitions get mounted automatically by a background diskarbitrationd daemon. That might be failing fail to mount some partitions automatically.

If the problem occurs again the steps to troubleshoot it are

0. Run the "diskutil list" and "mount" commands again and save their output.

1. See if the raw disk hardware is showing up in the System Information utility in the SATA section. If not you have some nastier problem going on (I'd be especially suspect of things like third party PCIe SATA controllers if you are using one of those... and poking around in the systems logs might show something).

2. If that SATA drive is showing up in #1 but its not mounted then try to mount the volume manually. e.g. the following would create a temporary test mount point and mount the disk partition there...

$ mkdir /tmp/testmount
$ sudo mount -t hfs /dev/disk4s2 /tmp/testmount

You can unmount it with
$ sudo diskutil umount /tmp/testmount

The main thing is to see if the mount happens and if there are any error messages.

---

The next thing might be to configure diskarbitrationd with logging enabled which may show why things are not mounting. That's more complex stuff to deal with only if you see a problem keep happening.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-20-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
OK thanks for the info. But since they are mounting OK you are right that it does not help sort out what was happening when it did not work. But that it does work excludes some things like corrupted device entries in the /dev filesystem.

What is happening under the covers is disk partitions get mounted automatically by a background diskarbitrationd daemon. That might be failing fail to mount some partitions automatically.

If the problem occurs again the steps to troubleshoot it are

1. See if the raw disk hardware is showing up in the System Information utility in the SATA section. If not you have some nastier problem going on (I'd be especially suspect of things like third party PCIe SATA controllers if you are using one of those... and poking around in the systems logs might show something).

2. If that SATA drive is showing up in #1 but its not mounted then try to mount the volume manually. e.g. the following would create a temporary test mount point and mount the disk partition there...

$ mkdir /tmp/testmount

You can unmount it with

The main thing is to see if the mount happens and if there are any error messages.

---

The next thing might be to configure diskarbitrationd with logging enabled which may show why things are not mounting. That's more complex stuff to deal with only if you see a problem keep happening.
fantastic and detailled advice - very appreciated ... thanks !

Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:

$ mkdir /tmp/testmount

You can unmount it with

---

this issue occured again, here are the terminal messages. as one can see the drive "Pool 2" doesn´t appear there, also I noticed that the drive doesn´t spin up

Last login: Tue Nov 20 17:21:15 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS POOL 749.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac HD - Mavericks 999.3 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: Apple_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS 500 Giga 1.0 TB disk2s3

/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac HD 999.2 GB disk3s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 784.2 MB disk3s3

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *8.0 GB disk4
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS FLASH-DRIVE 7.7 GB disk4s2

Last login: Tue Nov 20 17:21:43 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ mount
/dev/disk3s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
/dev/disk0s2 on /Volumes/POOL (hfs, local, journaled)
/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/Mac HD - Mavericks (hfs, local, journaled)
/dev/disk2s3 on /Volumes/500 Giga (hfs, local, journaled)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
/dev/disk4s2 on /Volumes/FLASH-DRIVE (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)

Last login: Tue Nov 20 17:26:51 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ mkdir /tmp/testmount
mkdir: /tmp/testmount: File exists
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ sudo mount -t hfs /dev/disk4s2 /tmp/testmount
Password:
mount_hfs: error on mount(): error = -1.
mount_hfs: Resource busy
Mac-Pro:~ admin$ sudo diskutil umount /tmp/testmount
Unmount failed for /tmp/testmount
Mac-Pro:~ admin$

Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM

[EDIT: see the next post, come back here only if that's not the issue]

OK but what did System Information show for that SATA drive? I expect nothing is there for that disk, but want you to check.

The test mount did not work because the /dev device for that disk is not there and so the device name mapping is different and when you rebooted the /dev/disk4 device is now the removable FLASH drive, which is already mounted so you get a resource busy error.

On the positive side potentially really messed up things like /dev not existing are not the issue, and it's not going to be an issue with diskarbitrationd.

---

Just to confirm when you say "all internal" are you meaning this disk is attached to the motherboard SATA II controller or are you using a third party PCIe SATA III card?

And this is very important: Make sure you try shutting dow everything, physically powering off the computer and then powering it back on again, not just doing a shutdown or reboot from software.

In all these cases does the drive spin up even briefly when the system boots, try putting your fingers on it lightly to try to feel that happening given all the other noise during power up.

To be paranoid I would check the EFI us up to date https://www.imore.com/how-upgrade-yo...c-pro-firmware and do a NVRAM and SMC reset. https://iosafe.com/helpdesk/kb/faq.php?id=14

Try the same disk on a different SATA port, especially getting it on a motherboard SATA II port if you are using a SATA III PCIe card. Also simplify everything by unplugging (power and SATA cable) all other drives except the boot drive you are testing at that time and this "POOL 2" drive.

There can be issues around SATA versions in the cheesegraters (which could only apply if you are attaching to the motherboard SATA II), but I'm lost as to how OS versions interact with that. But that will be the next step to look at more. And if you are attaching to a third party SATA III controller there could be separate issues with the OS recognizing that... (which is why I want to see the System Info data for the SATA drive/controller).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-20-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Oh I'm guessing you are bitten on the ass by SATA power disable mode issue...

I just realized you were telling us all along that this only happens after a soft reboot. I had misread that and though this was only happening when you booted one of the OS images. Damn, could have gotten here a lot quicker.

And I'm going to assume that your drive is connected to the internal SATA II controller (which I think you also said, but it was not perfectly clear).

If so then this is likely the problem: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=527384

You can do the tape trick, (or more brutally, cut the drive's connector pin traces) but another options if you have a PCIe slot free may be to get a SATA III PCIe card and run cabling from that to your drive, that will help with performance, especially of any SSDs you also connect to that controller. This is not hard to do for 2.5" SSD including mounting them outside the standard bays, and may not be easy for a 3.5" disk that needs to go in a bay, but check around online for options.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-20-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 PM

it´s like you assumed, all drives are connected to the internal sata bus, all my pcie slots are used by 3 HD cards

thank you so much Darryl. I will try what you described in your last post and report back here

Old 11-21-2018, 04:09 AM

Darryl ... thanks again for your help !

the tape trick was the solution, now the drive works as it should