Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 AM

Default 7.3.1 Send level meter just mirrors track level

The skinny green meters that show the send level don't reflect the amount of send. I can have the fader at zero, and it just shows the same level as the main track meters. I don't remember it being this way in previous versions. Is this right? Is there a preference I haven't found?

Right now I have to watch the level of the aux I'm sending to to get an idea of the level...

Is anybody else seeing this?

thanks

PT 7.3.1
OS 10.4.8
Mac G5 2 ghz DP
3.5 Gig RAM
Digi 96 HD Core, 1 Accel, 1 Process
Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Re: 7.3.1 Send level meter just mirrors track leve

Have you tried

OPTIONS - PRE FADER METERING (4th from bottom)

Al.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM

...exactly; it sounds like you have Pre-Fader Metering turned on.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Thank you--that was it! Strange, though, I think I kind of liked it pre-fade for some things (especially record mode), but it bugs me on the sends.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: 7.3.1 Send level meter just mirrors track level

I think the sends are a little screwy in PT anyway. They quite often are Blasting too Loud when using them Post Fader. They need to have a Trim on them so they can be used Post Fader but Trimmed before they go to the buss so they will follow the track but at a lower level.

I think there is a new feature in PT 7.3 that allows the sends to be grouped to the track fader and still be Pre-Fader. Is this right ? I guess that would mean sends would still follow the Fader Level but would be at an independent level ??
Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I think the sends are a little screwy in PT anyway. They quite often are Blasting too Loud when using them Post Fader. They need to have a Trim on them so they can be used Post Fader but Trimmed before they go to the buss so they will follow the track but at a lower level.

I thought that's the way they normally operated post-fader. Like the send level you can adjust comes after any level changes in the main track volume. So calling them pre- and post- fader really refers to whether or not you want them dependent on the main track level.

That's what's confusing about having the "pre-level metering" option affect the sends meters. It's too easy to confuse it with the pre- or post- fade idea. I wouldn't mind it if the sends meters always showed the actual level being sent. Why else do we call them sends?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Right. The send meters should show the Send Level Being sent AFTER the Send Fader but have a Trim on them as well so you don't overload the stage going from the Channel Fader to the Send Fader.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I think the sends are a little screwy in PT anyway. They quite often are Blasting too Loud when using them Post Fader. They need to have a Trim on them so they can be used Post Fader but Trimmed before they go to the buss so they will follow the track but at a lower level.[…]
Isn’t that what the Send fader is for?

Also, and I realize this is easy to overlook and/or forget, Send Output windows have the ability to display an additional level meter measuring the total level of the path being fed by the send itself — which should help you. (Path Meter View option - PT 7.2 Reference Guide, pg. 546)

To view the Path Meter…
on an open Send Output window, click on the “Resize” toggle button at the Top-Left edge of the window. It’s the third button — the one that is green in Finder windows. (The manual’s graphics only shows the Windoms equivalent.)

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that what the Send fader is for?

Also, and I realize this is easy to overlook and/or forget, Send Output windows have the ability to display an additional level meter measuring the total level of the path being fed by the send itself — which should help you. (Path Meter View option - PT 7.2 Reference Guide, pg. 546)

To view the Path Meter…
on an open Send Output window, click on the “Resize” toggle button at the Top-Left edge of the window. It’s the third button — the one that is green in Finder windows. (The manual’s graphics only shows the Windoms equivalent.)

IHTH.

I did not know that... Path Meter View Option is helpful. Thanks.

Regarding the Send Fader itself. The problem I have is that sometimes if the overall mix is too hot and I have the send set to Post Fader. The send's INPUT will clip regardless of the position of the send fader. I want the send to be Post Fader. So I have to trim everything back to get that one send to stop clipping.

In other words... I get a good mix going. I put the lead vocal in. Then I add some reverb to the lead. At that point the send is clipping. This is the Input to the send Not the Output. So the send fader doesn't stop it from clipping.

I think the Sends and Inserts in PT are a little too Touchy anyway. They clip too easily.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I want the send to be Post Fader. So I have to trim everything back to get that one send to stop clipping.
What you describe is another fine example of what Master Faders are for.

If your sends are clipping their destinations inputs — as I take what you describe to mean — add a new Master Fader to your mixer and assign it to the path fed by your sends. Trim as needed. Done.

There’s no need to change the functionality of the sends.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)