Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-22-2002, 12:54 AM

Default Can\'t insert a stereo plug-in without creating a stereo aux channel?!

I have a session with a stereo loop audio file.

I have two tracks: Loop.L and Loop.R

If I want to insert a stereo EQ plug-in, I have to bus those two tracks to a stereo auxiliary input and insert the stereo plug-in on the aux? That sounds like a lot of work to me....

There's no easier way?

6am eternal
Old 03-22-2002, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Can\'t insert a stereo plug-in without creating a stereo aux channel?!

Just create a stereo Audio track, drag the left and right regions to the new track and then add you're EQ to one of the inserts on the stereo audio track.

I only use AUX tracks for effects if I want to share the same effect with multiple audio tracks or add more than 5 inserts effects to a track.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Can\'t insert a stereo plug-in without creating a stereo aux channel?!

As John H suggested, why don’t you just drag the file into a stereo track and put a stereo EQ on that…. ?

If you use an AUX for EQ return you might want to consider the fact that you will need to assign it’s input as a bus and route your loop track’s out put to that bus. That’s if you DON'T want to "mix" your original loop with the EQ’ed output which normally is the case with things like EQ’s, limiters or comps.; any effect that you would want as 100% on the signal.

Hope I did not confuse the matter more…

dk
Old 03-22-2002, 05:33 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Just create a stereo Audio track <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK You know that feeling, when it HAS to be just right here under your nose and you still can't see it? That's where I am right now.

So sorry if I'm dumb, but:

How do you create a stereo track in PTLE?

So far all I've been able to create is a couple of mono tracks that I group and pan L and R, but then you can only put a mono plug-in onto each of the tracks.....

The funny thing is I've searched the Manual without much success. For "recording in stereo" they tell us to create two mono tracks, just like I said I did....

The command "Edit>New Track" lets me chose between:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Audio Track<LI>Aux (mono)<LI>Aux (stereo)<LI>Master (mono)<LI>Master (stereo)<LI>Midi[/list]
So I still can't figure it out.

6am eternal
Old 03-22-2002, 05:45 AM

Kickin' ... how you doin mate?

At a guess I would say you are using a 5.0X version of PTLE and it doesn't have stereo audio tracks... how about that?!?

I can't help but wonder why you are using PTLE at the mo... are you just experimenting?

Neil.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:45 AM

Hey David,

what version of PTLE are you running? Stereo tracks were introduced I think in 5.1, but I don't remember for sure. If you have the right version, then you would see it when you choose 'new track' like you said. There should be two seperate dropdown fields, one for selecting the kind of track (audio, aux, master or MIDI) and one field for selecting mono or stereo. If you don't see that second field (actually, i think it comes first, then the dropdown for track type) you don't have a recent enough version to run stereo audio tracks. You'll have to bus the tracks over to a stereo aux track, or upgrade to a newer version of PTLE.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:53 AM

OK so for once Digi is stupid, and not me, haha, somewhat reassuring. Yes I'm still using the 5.0 !

And yes Neil (what's up man?!) I'm experimenting. I just purchased Logic's 5.0 upgrade and wanted to awake my rusted ProTools chops, and try and compare both programs. I'm intending to try out Digital Performer for a couple of weeks also. I'm not going to buy the 5.1 version, so I'll have to create the aux track.

Thanks for the help you guys!

6am eternal
Old 03-22-2002, 06:07 AM

Hey David,

So have you installed you Logic v.5 yet? What do you think? I am loving it! fantastic upgrade... worth every €!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:23 PM

Not yet. I'm too busy with ProTools right now. I'll probably install it early next week.

I am amazed at how different those two applications are. Each one of them as (very usefull) functions that the others don't.

6am eternal