How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Default ProTools + Plug In Install Configuration for two Hard Drives

Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 2008 with 16 GB RAM and two SSD drives. I recently updated to Pro Tools 19 and want to install Battery 4 and East West Symphonic Orchestra (along with Xpand 2 and other Pro Tools standard Plug Ins).

In the description for e.g. East West Installations it is written that you should not install the libraries on the boot drive of the plug in, so I wonder what is the best configuration for everything. At the moment I am running El Capitan and Pro Tools from the Boot drive and want to record to the second SSD.

Where do you think should Ininstall the plug ins and their libraries? Any configuration ideas? If you need additional informations please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Re: ProTools + Plug In Install Configuration for two Hard Drives

If your boot drive is SSD and you don't have very many VI's you run at the same time, just install there for convenience
Old 09-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patill View Post
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 2008 with 16 GB RAM and two SSD drives. I recently updated to Pro Tools 19 and want to install Battery 4 and East West Symphonic Orchestra (along with Xpand 2 and other Pro Tools standard Plug Ins).

In the description for e.g. East West Installations it is written that you should not install the libraries on the boot drive of the plug in, so I wonder what is the best configuration for everything. At the moment I am running El Capitan and Pro Tools from the Boot drive and want to record to the second SSD.

Where do you think should Ininstall the plug ins and their libraries? Any configuration ideas? If you need additional informations please let me know.

Thank you.
First thing I would do is to get a better OSX than El Crapitan. It's the worst OSX ever released. Now are you talking about recording to the ssd or installing your samples there or what? The answer will be different for each possibility. By the way that's old info from East West.

During install you should have the option of installing the samples in a separate place from the plugin itself which should always be on your system drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If your boot drive is SSD and you don't have very many VI's you run at the same time, just install there for convenience
True that BUT East West libraries can get rather large which would make housekeeping aka safety backups of one's system drive a bit of a problem. I'd still put samples on a separate drive and depending on the size of that drive record PT sessions there as well. I'm still old school enough to want to have separate drives for everything because again it makes system upkeep a lot easier.

And if you get SAS (sample acquisition syndrome) you'll be thankful you have your sample separate on a separate large drive.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
East West libraries can get rather large which would make housekeeping aka safety backups of one's system drive a bit of a problem.
Not any bigger problem than backing up the sample drive. With that said, I have my samples on dedicated SSD but if it was only few VI then I probably would not bother.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First thing I would do is to get a better OSX than El Crapitan. It's the worst OSX ever released.
The sad thing is that Apple made it so the mac pro 3.1 won't install mac os above 10.11. I also have that mac, and I'm running it with sierra 10.12.5, I found a hacked version of mac os installer. But it's not recommended.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:57 PM

Better OS can also be older one. For example 10.6.8 or 10.8.5
Old 09-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Actual details would help here. What exact SSD make/model/size/spec and connected exactly how to what... slow motherboard SATA II, a faster PCIE SATA III card (what make/model), or much faster PCIe/AHCI SSDs or... ?

And your plugins should *always* be on the boot/system drive. Their sample libraries are the only things you ever consider putting elsewhere.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Better OS can also be older one. For example 10.6.8 or 10.8.5
He has PT2019.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
He has PT2019.
... which requires 10.12.x or later so ElCrap is a bad choice anyway
Old 09-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Opinion without having useful info about the actual config here... Personally I would be looking at hacking this machine and getting it to a later OS. Especially to get NVMe SSDs for storage, and then all samples would definitely go on the boot drive if there is space.

e.g. see http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/...ade-guide.html

Or I'd be trading for later Cheesegrater capable of running Mojave out of the box (and realizing that may be the last macOS release supported by that hardware (unless folks find a hack for that)).

Now I know that was not the question asked, but see what happens when you ask questions without providing enough details.