Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Insert mode not showing parameter name

On a profile, the day after using a D-show big control surface, even after loading an old file:
in insert mode only the values are showing, not the parameter name, for plug in parameters assigned to encoders.

I understand there is an alternate view, by holding alt and hitting the "Insert mode" button. That toggles to a view showing values and the associate bus name. That is working correctly.

I think on the big work surface there was a button called "label" that I hit. But I can't find a similar button on the Profile.

The manual says the default state is to show the "value and name" of the current parameters. My console is showing the value on the top row, the bottom row seems to be telling me what will happen if I press the button (like on/off, bypass, etc).

If anyone knows the quick fix, please email me, as I have email in the venue but not internet. [email protected]

It is a bit challenging to use the plugs, because mostly I see a row of numbers...
but don't know which knob corresponds to what parameter...

Thanks,
Denny
Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Avid

Default Re: Insert mode not showing parameter name

Hi Denny,

(also sent to your email address)

Which plug-in does this happen with? In some cases the plug-in will show the button press functions, when there also isn't a rotary value. Try hitting the next page/prev page button to page through parameters and see if that changes anything.

Sheldon
Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 AM

The issue was resolved by using the "clear console" feature. It was happening with all plugins, on several files.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Sheldon, but my guess is that by using my local rack with a Dshow control surface, then hitting the "show names" button on the Dshow, it changed the default display setting in my local rack, regardless of which files I loaded. So when I went back to the Profile work surface, which does not have that button, I was unable to scroll through those options. So by doing a "clear console" I was able to restore the default settings in my local rack.

Here is what the "show names" button on the Dshow does:
"Press Show Names to cycle the encoder LCDs to display parameter names and values, as follows:
• Pressing once shows the rotary parameter name.
• Pressing again shows the rotary parameter value.
• Pressing a third time shows the encoder switch parameter name.
• Pressing a fourth time shows the encoder switch parameter value."

I was seeing the "encoder switch parameter name" on the top row, with the values on the bottom row. After clearing the console, it returned to the default, which was the parameter name that would be adjusted by turning the encoder on top, followed by value below.

Luckily the house (Barrowlands in Glasgow) had processing next to me, so I could put the walkin music directly into their processor while figuring this out. I was surprised how hard it is to adjust plugins without the parameter name assigned to the knob. Especially on FX, it can be tricky guessing which numbers correspond to any given parameter;^)
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 AM

On a profile, the day after using a D-show big control surface, even after loading an old file:
in insert mode only the values are showing, not the parameter name, for plug in parameters assigned to encoders.

I understand there is an alternate view, by holding alt and hitting the "Insert mode" button. That toggles to a view showing values and the associate bus name. That is working correctly.

I think on the big work surface there was a button called "label" that I hit. But I can't find a similar button on the Profile.

The manual says the default state is to show the "value and name" of the current parameters. My console is showing the value on the top row, the bottom row seems to be telling me what will happen if I press the button (like on/off, bypass, etc).
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Avid

Hi alice,

go to Config Mode>Options>System>Clear Console. That will get the Profile display working normally again.