Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Default C24 adat connection questions

Hello all,
I am having trouble connecting a pre sonus digital pre using the lightpipe adate feature. it was easy to on my old 003, so I'm thinking its either a card issue on the 192 or perhaps a word clock issue?
I have the cable running out the back of the pre and into the back of the 192. Should something be connected from the 192 to the c24?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM

Default Re: C24 adat connection questions

We could use a little more information...what exactly doesn't work? No audio at all from any input on either interface?

Check the output of the Presonus: the optical cable should be glowing red at the end, and it should be going into the 192 optical IN (that's NOT glowing).

You've changed the Clock Source to "ADAT Optical", right? And set the Presonus clock so it's the same speed as the session clock? And the session clock is one the Presonus can handle (44 or 48)?

What does your I/O Setup Input window look like? Have you instantiated the optical inputs by creating them in the matrix? If you haven't used them before, they may not show up as available inputs in the mixer until you do. I bet that's it...

Nothing needs to be connected back to the Presonus, unless you want something else to be the Word Clock master besides the Presonus internal clock. As to the C24, I don't know, sorry. As far as I can tell, it's just acting as a controller through Ethernet, and as an audio preamp to the 192, no clock in I can see. If you're using the inputs of the C|24, they would be connected to the DB25 of the 192.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Default Re: C24 adat connection questions

"Should something be connected from the 192 to the c24?"

Yes, but not having anything to do with the lightpipe connection. Assuming the 192 is 8x8 analog, then you would likely(I say likely because there are lots of ways to connect this stuff) feed 8 preamps of the C24, via a db25 cable, to the 8 analog inputs of the 192. Then, the Presonus lightpipe output would feed the 192 lightpipe input. Now, with this digital connection, you MUST set clocking correctly so either the 192 or the Presonus is the master clock. Easiest is probably to feed wordclock from the 192 WC OUT to the Presonus WC IN and set the Presonus to clock to external(and remember that this setup is limited to 44.1 and 48K because the lightpipe connection does not work on higher sample rates).

Then, assuming you want to monitor audio off the C24, then you need another db25 cable to connect the 192 outputs, to the C24 monitor section.

Think of it like this; the C24 is basically, a great big mouse, that also happens to hold 16 mic preamps(which you can use, or not use), and a monitor section(which you can also choose to use or bypass).

No matter how you connect this, with the gear you have, you have a total of 16 inputs into Pro Tools(the 192 can feed a total of 16 inputs thru the IO setup), and up to 16 outputs(depending on the setup and what cards are installed in the 192).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave