Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-18-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Clicks at end of region after recording in 6.4

Quote:
OK, Dave, Imagine - I think we need some fresh information on this.

Is everybody on 6.7cs4? (I know Imagine is)

Does everybody have the Auto Fade in/out setting at 3ms? (not the TrackPunch/Quickpunch fade settings). Remember, there used to be a bug where this setting could *cause* clicks, but it's been fixed in 6.7cs3.

Does this happen with Delay Comp on, off, or both?

Does the popping happen more with certain types of material? (i.e. more with bass than with piccolo?)

Do any of the clicks get recorded, or are they monitoring clicks only?

Thanks folks. Sorry for the aggravation.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign

Danny,

I've uploaded jpg's so that you can actually see the end of region click.

http://homepage.mac.com/dlpro/PT/PhotoAlbum11.html

-I tried using the Auto fade in/out set to 3ms. It'll work at times, and at other times, it won't. I tried setting it between 3 and 10ms. Same problem with every ms.

-This is with Delay Comp On.

-This will happen with every instrument recorded. When a plug-in is inserted, the click is even more apparent.

-Yes, the clicks get recorded. View jpg's.

Dean
Old 12-18-2004, 02:27 PM

Can you Zoom way in and see if the amount of "glitch" is the same value as the ADC in the session or applied to the track (in samples).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-18-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Can you Zoom way in and see if the amount of "glitch" is the same value as the ADC in the session or applied to the track (in samples).

Rail
I have found the glitch to be exactly equal in length to the total ADC compensation (which would be the amount of time by which it would need to move your recorded audio back in time to match existing audio).

Since PT6.7cs2, when the glitch sometimes started containing pure silence instead of previously recorded audio, I have found that when you are zoomed out, the glitch at the end of the region appears to contain audio, but when you zoom in past a certain level, you see the glitch as flat (ie silence).
Old 12-18-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Rail
I agree with ajs.

What I find interesting is that when you record an instrument, and you wait a few seconds longer before hitting Stop, the click is apparent, but if you hit the Stop button quickly after the player stops playing, you may or may not hear the click. So the distance between sound and end of region, seem to play a part in all of this.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:42 PM

Quote:
So the distance between sound and end of region, seem to play a part in all of this.
I found that the source of the audio in the glitch is approx. 3 seconds before the point you press stop and equal in length to the total delay comp. if you record shorter than 3 seconds, the audio is from whatever was recorded previously, if anything (which could be silence). Lately, I have found the glitch to contain silence instead.

I still think the problem is that it stops recording when you press stop, rather than continuing for the duration of the delay comp, so that when it slides the audio back by the delay comp, it takes a little piece of what was left in the circular record buffer. And silencing that piece just defeats the whole benefit of the Auto Fade preference.

For all the gory details, check out my posts in the thread I linked to above. If I turn out to be right, I am going to be because I did all this work and posted this info 3 CS releases ago, but still no solution.

On a more positive note, I think it is cool that Digi does put out regular CS releases when they fix bugs.