Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Anyone using Garritan Personal Orchestra in osx?

on my G4 dual 1gig 1.5gb of ram mac i am only able to play 4-5 instruments at a time (using my digi001). i goto (on the same computer) use Logic Pro 6 with my M-audio 410 soundcard and i get 25+. i talked with Gary Garritan and he said there is problems with the digi001 hardware. he is getting 70instruments on his dell laptop. i can load tons of reason instruments into PTLE.
anyone else out there getting better or similar results?
thanks
Mitch
Old 04-23-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Anyone using Garritan Personal Orchestra in osx?

What app are you using as a player? Or does the library have one built in?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Anyone using Garritan Personal Orchestra in os

25+ in Logic? Wow! Though not surprised you only get 4-5 in Pro Tools. Could be worst - I only get one(!), with a few tracks made inactive, and I have to use the dry instrument versions... My G4(DP 533) is of course weaker than yours, but in the end I am happy with the quality of Gary's sampled instruments. I mostly got the GPO for it's plethora of woodwinds. It seems like you want to do some serious orchestral work, or at least be able to get a small ensemble going.. Bounce to disk? Pain in the *ss, I know.. Any G5/002 users out there? How many instruments can you run at the same time if the GPO is G5/Panther able(dunno)? Good luck Mitch!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 PM

That is the reason I didn't buy G.P.O. Pro Tools get low low low instrument counts!
That's wild this post popped up, cause I just spoke with Mr. Garritan (e-mail) about this yesterday.
Man I really hope Digi addresses these problems on the next version. We're deep into midi and samples now and if Digi doesn't do a major overhaul, we'll buy Logic and do ALL our midi in it!
Old 04-23-2004, 02:18 PM

GPO uses a custom version of the kontakt player....rtas.

For the price.... the package is unreal. very easy to use and very customizable, awesome sounds.

I just purchased Logic for this project and i am stoked on all the plugins i get and synths....its amazing....but what isnt amazing is the gui and how i dont have a clue how to use it. the simplest things are a nightmare to do (until i learn how) its much deeper than PT for many many things but very frustrating when your used to PT. How i love the interface and how simple things are in PT. NOthing beats editing and mixing in PT.

For now i have opted to use PT and REason (orkester) as a scratch pad and then i will fly in the garritan samples when all my parts are finished. should be fun.

Mitch

Old 04-23-2004, 02:32 PM

Gorilla you can also look into The Orchestral Collection by Prosonus(new RTAS version) over at bigfishaudio.com. I wonder if that would be a CPU hog as well. Or even the Silver Edition of Symphonic Orchestra by Eastwest/Quantum Leap over at soundsonline.com. This is powered by the Kompakt sampler and includes 16-bit samples so it should be less CPU demanding. Dunno, have not tried it but it's great that there are a couple of options out there for orchestral sample players. Two years ago, I would have never thought that orchestral libraries would be so affordable and even available in the RTAS format. Now I need a computer that can run all this fine but demandind software. A G5 should do the job. A G6(or something) will probably end the limitations us native users face once and for all. We'll see..
Old 04-23-2004, 02:55 PM

Cool, thanks! Yeah we have a few choices in deed from Pro samples to Reasons' Orkestra to Garritan to Quantum Leap. That G.P.O. really does sound nice and you can't beat that price! Maybe I'll buy it while it is still under $250 and hold on to it. I don't think it'll get dated the next few months!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:49 PM

I am receiving this in the mail today and wonder if their is an update to the Kompact that comes included with GPO. From what I understand it is different than the full Kompact version.

Also wondering if increasing my ram to 2 gig from 1 gig will male a noticeable difference.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 04-24-2004, 09:04 AM

What about the Mbox? Does the problem with the 001 apply to the Mbox (low instrument count)? I would love to have a little symphony at my fingertips…
peace
Old 04-24-2004, 09:49 AM

Its not the full kontakt sampler it the kontakt player (a lite version)....specially made for GPO.

Im not sure if an MBOX would be better...i would be very curious. but the digi001 sure sucks with it. like i said earlier....with the same computer using LogicPro6 and an M-audio410 i am getting amazing results with the GPO.

Mitch