Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Avid delisted on NASDAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Maybe keeping all their cash in Bitcoins wasn't a great idea.

Roflol !!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Interesting NASDAQ article, c/- 'Create Digital Music'

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/0...almusic.com%29

Avid, Maker of Pro Tools, Now Losing Money Faster and Delisted from NASDAQ
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM

The fact that they have been delisted, is not really the big issue. Yes, they played with their numbers to make things look better than they were. They learned about the problem in September of last year, but said its way to much to resolve in the given period of time.

Forget all of that, the issues are in the performance numbers when compared to previous performance and more importantly against the performance of the Computers & Peripherals industry.

So they can't even improve over previous years performance which has been dismal, they also can't compete with "Like" companies, which is even more of a problem. It would be one thing to say that all Tech is down, but that's not true. They also have no cash flow.

Granted, they are in kinda of a niche market, which makes it harder to compare, but consider all the other issues. It does not look good.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-25-2014, 04:16 PM

They are in a niche professional market where reliability is king and people only upgrade hardware every five to ten years. People keep trying to apply computer hobbyist concepts to professional production gear.

Most of Avid's offerings have been approaching obsolescence and they obviously needed to invest in an updated product line. I suspect PT11, S3 and S6 are only the beginning of it. Their numbers can't reasonably be expected to improve until a while after their next generation of products reach the market. This isn't rocket science, just common sense.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Well, if Avid were to charge $500 to be able to use the Control 24 with PT 11, then there might not be a financial problem . . . just sayin'
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buel Pace View Post
Well, if Avid were to charge $500 to be able to use the Control 24 with PT 11, then there might not be a financial problem . . . just sayin'
I wonder how many people would pay $x for "CPTK type" features for PT11 a la carte? I've brought it up before, but the point is never acknowledged. I would love to have disc cache, unlimited video and vca's. I'd pay, right now, today, this instant, $500 each for them. But my money's no good here.

Here's another point: the $4000 price tag for PT HD Thunderbolt is almost doable for me. But the Omni's firmware limits me to 8 ins total. Really? Are you kidding me? So if I want to go up to say 16 or 24 ins, I need to pony up another $2-3 grand for another interface?

From a creative point of view, these marketing decisions by the lawyer/accountant types at Avid are real buzz-kills. I mean who in their right mind would scrimp, save and aspire to this?

So, I use a Scarlett 18i20 with Pro Tools Native. I achieve wonderful results using Focusrite's 8 pre's. I can imagine adding up to 8 more ins via an Apollo or Sapphire Pro using ADAT. But I cannot possibly justify the expense of HD Thunderbolt. I have to forget about locked away features such as disc cache, unlimited video, etc.

Avid, with their policy, has basically said to me, "No, we don't want your $1500, and by the way, we don't want your $4000 either…..But you can buy our stock for real cheap!!!!"

Tim
Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
Avid, with their policy, has basically said to me, "No, we don't want your $1500, and by the way, we don't want your $4000 either…..But you can buy our stock for real cheap!!!!"

Tim
See, this is where I'm coming from. I sold my HD3 rig because there was no reasonable upgrade. I bought a Symphony and Thunderbridge and am using PT natively. As a bonus, I get timely driver updates: Apogee posted the new Mavericks drivers the day Mavericks came out!

Because AVID didn't understand me as a customer, I've been worried about their strategy. The delisting and accounting firm change feeds my impression that there is trouble at HQ.

Like Ron, I run my own business and grew up around business so I'm always curious what corporate types are up to, and I read those boring annual reports. 52% profit margin in the audio division of AVID - gotta love that!

Also, I'm not bashing, just trying to see what other folks think of this news. I lost my beloved Studio Vision & more recently Bias Peak to business failures. It's good to pay attention.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
It's just interesting to those of us who run our own companies and enjoy discussing these type of issues. Nothing else.

Too much time....I wish!
I am sorry that my other post came off negative for some and that was Not my intension to insult anyone, all I "Meant to say" was it doesn't help speculating and that time could be spent elsewhere, Not saying that I was the only ine making music here

Again Sorry if that came off wrong and lets move on and make productive discussions here

BTW I also run my own businesses, One a Studio we make music and live off the productions and Two we alsomhave a production company and publishing where we sign new and up and coming artists and bands aswell as songwriters which have paid off pretty good lately and I understand completely about the Avid situation so lets leave it at that.

Again I do apologize to anyone who felt insulted or talked down to. I didn't mean it in that way.

All The Best Guys
Chrostopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I am sorry that my other post came off negative for some and that was Not my intension to insult anyone, all I "Meant to say" was it doesn't help speculating and that time could be spent elsewhere, Not saying that I was the only ine making music here

Again Sorry if that came off wrong and lets move on and make productive discussions here

BTW I also run my own businesses, One a Studio we make music and live off the productions and Two we alsomhave a production company and publishing where we sign new and up and coming artists and bands aswell as songwriters which have paid off pretty good lately and I understand completely about the Avid situation so lets leave it at that.

Again I do apologize to anyone who felt insulted or talked down to. I didn't mean it in that way.

All The Best Guys
Chrostopher
Not at all!

To everyone else, apparently I was completely wrong about this. When I read 'all trading will cease' I assumed the worst. But this did not happen and the stock moved to OTC and has picked up a little steam. I thought it was going to be dead in the water.

You may all hit me over the head 3 times.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Avid delisted on NASDAQ

That's why I bought more shares. Buy low 😊 Bought at$5.58 and now its $6.58. Woot. I live right down the street from Avid. Just hoping for big things. Hoping they will get it all sorted out. Come on S3?

📀
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live