Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 AM

Default Pro Tools screen lag on external monitor

Hi everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post.

Need some help.

After installing macOS 10.12.6 on my laptop I've been having a lagging external display that slows down Pro Tools significantly. This only happens when I use a cable matters usb to hdmi converter to send video to my external monitor. If i use all of Pro Tool's windows on my Macbook display theres no problems at all.
(I'm using a USB to HDMI converter to send video out as my Thunderbolt port is being used by my Clarett Pre which stupidly doesn't have a Thunderbolt out.)

Also also tested Pro Tools with a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable without my interface and it works fine. No lag. Therefore i think the issue is with the softwares.

This is extremely weird because prior to the OS upgrade I never had this problem with. Do note the problem is ONLY for ProTools. YouTube, Microsoft Office and other video playing back through quick time doesn't give me this problem.

Anyone having similar issues or able to help?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools screen lag on external monitor

USB to HDMI > YouTube, Microsoft Office and other video playing back
don't slow on the second display?

Any other USB changes between test? (Different Port, or other dongle, Hub...?)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Did you update from Yosemite to Sierra? I know of a Logic user who had the same issue using USB to HDMI for an external monitor. All good under Yosemite, but with Sierra screen issues with the same connector.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
USB to HDMI > YouTube, Microsoft Office and other video playing back don't slow on the second display? - It doesn't slow down on the external display. It actually did have some lag issues when I first upgraded OS. But installing DisplayLink's latest driver fixed it.

Any other USB changes between test? (Different Port, or other dongle, Hub...?)
- Tried all the ports and through a Thunderbolt Hub and without it same issue.. Like I mentioned, only when I went straight from Thunderbolt to HDMI did the problem get solved. But that won't be a workable solution because I need the Thunderbolt port for my Audio Interface.

Thanks for the help really appreciate it!
Old 08-13-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridarts View Post
Did you update from Yosemite to Sierra? I know of a Logic user who had the same issue using USB to HDMI for an external monitor. All good under Yosemite, but with Sierra screen issues with the same connector.
I went from 10.9.5 (Mavericks) to Sierra actually. Nice to know I'm not alone is this issue at least! Did the Logic user you mentioned manage to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 PM

No you weren't alone and its when you mentioned Sierra that it caught my attention. The Logic user rolled back to Yosemite for now and was hoping to have better luck with El Cap. Not such a problem for Logic but not a recommended OS for PT from what I've read. Might I suggest installing Yosemite? and see if that fixes the graphics issue. Pretty sure 10.10.5 is still supported for 12.8(I'm on 12.5) but a quick check will confirm.

And just read that you had no luck with a Thunderbolt Dock. Which TB dock did you try? I can successfully run a second monitor off a Caldigit TS2 via HDMI or out of the second thunderbolt port with a mini-display to HDMI lead. Another dock that is mentioned on the DUC is the OWC which is popular but I can't speak for it.

Last edited by hybridarts; 08-13-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Hi,

I wanted to see if there were any updates regarding this? I am having the same issue. Just upgraded from Mac OS 10.11.6 to 10.12.6 and from PT 12.7 to 12.8.2.

I run a second Dell monitor via a USB to VGA Display adapter. Didn't have any issues before on El Capitan, but now have crazy lag and if I leave a plug-in open on that 2nd monitor (Wave Dorrough meters for example) there is lag on my primary monitor as well.

Super annoying! No other apps have this issue.

Thanks!!
Brooklyn, NY
www.rumbleaudio.com
Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM

If you're using TB1 or TB2, this is one answer:

OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock

Run your Focusrite from the dock. I have two of these, one on each MBP.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Been having this issue when I drag a plugin to a second or third display. using Mac OS 10.11.6 and PT 2018..4

Our 3 displays are fed from the graphics card in a Mac Pro desktop can , running a AMD fire pro D500 card, 3072MB. (TB to HDMI Dell 4K displays) If I quit and reopen a session it can help...for a while.

Any suggestions on allocating memory? I've tried all the obvious in Pro Tools set-up.
Thanks for the help,
Roger
Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 PM

What are you using for your monitor?

I use a 4K TV as a second display and I put it into 'Game' mode to cut down the lag.