Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 AM

Default Re: BUG: Match alternates out of Sync to AAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Not sure but in the readme of 11.2.2 this seems to relate:

Audio is now properly aligned with picture after importing an AAF file from Media Composer. (PTSW-194124)

frank.
Just did a test and opened an AAF. Didn't notice any difference in placement compared to 11.2.1.

Frank.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Hi Frank,
Do you know if there has been an update as far as absolute sync of multi channel files using FRW without having to use Titan to phase the WAVs to the AAF files? The latest PT 12 manual still says using Titan is the way to re-align the misaligned audio after expanding tracks. The only possibility I can think of is the AVID receiving all the channels of audio, but cutting just the mix channel and then getting a referenced AAF with all the audio mxf files and pointing to those during Expand tracks to get perfect sync on the other channels of audio.

I realize there are shows that use certain sync boxes which keep the camera TC and audio recorder TC in perfect sync and that is really the way to go, but I also know not all Mixers have this gear and sometimes production situations don't allow for perfect sync between camera and recorder. Since the Dailies house has put all the audio in sync with the picture, it seems the mxf files would be the best route and the WAVs are just backup and used for grabbing alts.

One other route I want to look into is I remember a comment about the editor being able to populate a bin with "related" media. I am curious if that would be even better than getting all the audio mxf media, since in theory it would give us only the audio channels for what was cut in the audio sequence tracks.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM

Hi,

the issue has been fixed on the AVID MC side of the pond. There is a fairly new option in the MC's audio prefs called "subframe alignment to broadcast wave start time".

It's in the audio tab of the audio import settings of the MC. It needs to be checked before import. If that is the case the match-tracks and expand to track conforms from within PT will be bang on to the AAF even with shows shot on Zaxcom machines.

I recently did a test for an upcoming film recorded on Nomads and Fusions and it worked fine.
No need for Titan if you ask me. If your film is recorded on SD or Aaton the issue didn't exist in the first place.

Luckily that option in the MC is checked by default but better look twice.

F.