Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM

Default UAD-1 not compatible with Mbox !?

Hey Hey!

I just picked up a UAD-1 Ultra Pak. The plugs sound amazing. They really bring life to my tracks. Having tasted them, I can only want more.

But...

Whenever I insert more than three plugs I get huge white noise...

I first noticed it on a session with lots going on, but then created a test session with one stereo audio track. I was able to insert 3 instances of the 1176 in either it's full LN form or the SE version but the 4th one I added would throw me into huge white noise. (I used the 1176 because of it's two versions that I understand are supposed to take up vastly different amounts of processing)

Universal Audio is telling me that it's actually a known issue with the Mbox, that the responsibility is all on Digi's side, that their surprised I haven't had anything like this before with the Mbox, and that it's well documented on the DUC.

But I'm not finding anything here. Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong terms. I do remember someone being upset about huge white noise happening in some scenario, but I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone point me to more info?

My system...
Mbox on a dual 1.8 G5 (original) with 1.5Gig of RAM, running OS X 10.4.2 and ProTools LE 6.9.2., and just added the UAD-1 UltraPak, possibly to be returned...

Thanks,
Archmart
Old 08-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: UAD-1 not compatible with Mbox !?

Hey Hey!

In the interest of being fair to Universal Audio... They're being pretty cool with me about troubleshooting this situation...

Archmart
Old 08-06-2005, 05:37 AM

They can be as cool and friendly as they want, but if they know it's a problem and market the UAD-1 as now compatible with DIGI with the free Wrapper they have then they should note the problem for potential buyers.
You have a mBox if they would have said compatible with DIGI excluding the mBox you wouldn't have purchaesd right?
It's always hard to say who is responsible for any issues of this sort and who is really responsible for the fix.
If the mbox is a know issue there is nothing that says DIGI would have to fix it anyway the UAD is not there product or something they market their product as being functional with.
UA on th eother hand clearly markets the UAD for PT compatiblity now thus their custom version of the wrapper that only wraps the UAD, but they then tell you it's known not to work with the mBox?
Why is that not included in the info about using it with PT?
Now how cool is that?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:13 PM

I'm having the same problem with my MBox and my UAD's...but I'm not using it with PT. I'm using it with Logic...so it's not the wrapper.

I'm only using the MBox because it's my back up sound card. My Motu896HD went bad last week and it's off for repair. I didn't change anything in my system except the sound card and now (like you) I can't get but more than 3 or 4 UAD plugs. Only 2 if I'm using any of the Precision Plugs or the Plate 140.

I'm interested in getting an 002R. Any known issues with that card?

Thanks,
gcarbon
Old 08-10-2005, 03:28 AM

Quote:
I'm having the same problem with my MBox and my UAD's...but I'm not using it with PT. I'm using it with Logic...so it's not the wrapper.

Thanks,
gcarbon
No one said it was the wrapper, the statement about the wrapper was to show that UAD-1 is marketing compatibilty not Digi, so again if it's a known issue they should state that there are known issues. Instead they say it works with PT and give you the supposed means to intergrate the to together.
How can they make that statement and then tell him it's has known issues with the mBox?
The statement should say that there are mBox issues.