Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2017, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Win-10 - Leaves a lot to be desired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Can you elaborate what you mean by Kill your Mac system? What Mac did you have and what changed ? Thanks
Sure. What I mean is that my freshly built octocore Windows tower far and away outperforms my old 2011 i7 quad core MBP. PT performance is incredibly smooth compared to how PT ran for me the last time I tried it on a PC. Somewhere around 10 years ago.

I kept waiting for years for a new MBP that was performance focused like my early 2011 was at the time it was newly released. With the mediocre(IMHO) 2016 MBP release, I finally decided to give up on Apple until it decides what kind of company it wants to be or they find a CEO who actually demonstrates a passion for creatives who don't have 9000.00 USD (Now 6500.00) to spend on 4 year old technology (current mac pros).

Now I have a rock solid Win 10 system that basically handles EVERYTHING I can throw at it, whereas I was freezing half the session on my MBP just to B2D. My typical track counts are from 40 to 50 with around 4 or 5 third party plugs per track. 6 on the master bus. With all that and my buffer at 128k, my CPU usage hovers around 25%! Just stellar performance.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Now I have a rock solid Win 10 system that basically handles EVERYTHING I can throw at it, whereas I was freezing half the session on my MBP just to B2D. My typical track counts are from 40 to 50 with around 4 or 5 third party plugs per track. 6 on the master bus. With all that and my buffer at 128k, my CPU usage hovers around 25%! Just stellar performance.
What CPU do you have now?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
freshly built octocore Windows tower far and away outperforms my old 2011 i7 quad core MBP
Well yeah man, of course it does. Not really a fair fight, eh?

To the OP:

I know I'm like, the 5th guy to say this, but I would not even bother with any more troubleshooting until you wipe the drive and reinstall. That really is the way to go here.

You're right when you say that it can be tough to feel like you've done the research and feel as though you're prepared for a major update. There always seems to be something you didn't account for, and that's why it's so important to do a clean install every time.

And yes - it blows to have to reinstall all that stuff, but it's like cleaning out the closet... makes you really consider whether or not you're ever going to wear that sweater again.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 05-15-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
And yes - it blows to have to reinstall all that stuff, but it's like cleaning out the closet... makes you really consider whether or not you're ever going to wear that sweater again.

In case they didn't get it,

We have way to many plugins and you probably don't need to reinstall all of them b/c you don't use them all anyway:)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:

To the OP:

I know I'm like, the 5th guy to say this, but I would not even bother with any more troubleshooting until you wipe the drive and reinstall. That really is the way to go here.

You're right when you say that it can be tough to feel like you've done the research and feel as though you're prepared for a major update. There always seems to be something you didn't account for, and that's why it's so important to do a clean install every time.

Well, I'll end up doing that, but I can't until I complete my current project for a client, and I can set aside 2-3 days to do all that.

It gets more curious all the time. So, yesterday, I unistalled and reinstalled Pro Tools...and, for now at least, everything seems to be working fine, and the audio problems I was experiencing seem to have vanished as well. I can't explain it, since I had already done this AFTER installing Win-10 (actually, I think I did this twice before yesterday).

So, At least for now I can complete the work at hand. I'll tackle the other later. Thanks for all the helpful input.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
What CPU do you have now?
Intel i7 6900K
Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:

To the OP:

No it isn't fair at all!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 AM

What's funny is that Apple doesn't even use that generation of CPU's in their desktops......

so it's not fair but it's not Microsofts fault.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
What's funny is that Apple doesn't even use that generation of CPU's in their desktops......

so it's not fair but it's not Microsofts fault.
Or the generation before it....

But check this out http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/intel-i9-series-cpu-leaked/ Leaks about the next generation, including the new i9

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-16-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Or the generation before it....

But check this out http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/intel-i9-series-cpu-leaked/ Leaks about the next generation, including the new i9
Oh goody...one more new thing we've got adapt to!