Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 07:00 AM

Default New M2 Studio / PT Ultimate / Sonoma

After a long time in service it's finally time to upgrade my 2012 MacPro, last week I ordered a M2 Mac Studio which will arrive next week but I've just had the realisation it will ship with Sonoma and I won't be able to roll it back.....

I know Sonoma is not officially supported by PT yet but is anyone successfully running PT Ultimate on a M2 Mac with Sonoma?

This whole upgrade has been a bit of a minefield, I've spent weeks researching suitable PCIe to thunderbolt chassises for my HD native card, NVME storage enclosures and powered USB/Thunderbolt hubs but I totally forgot to check support for Sonoma.

I feel like I maybe stepping into a world of trouble running a M2 studio, Sonoma, PT 2023.12 and a HD Native card in a Sonnet EGFX 550 chassis.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:21 AM

Default Re: New M2 Studio / PT Ultimate / Sonoma

I understand your fears, and just so that you are aware Apple has a very good returns policy if things go wrong.

I would advise the first and only things to do, would be to update Sonoma to the latest 14.2.1 version, install the latest Pro Tools version (2023.12), and see if PT is working on your Mac Studio with no 3rd party plugins and only inbuilt audio - I am confident that it will as I am using those versions of PT and Sonoma with an M1 MBP. If all is okay proceed to set up the Sonnet chassis etc, one by one, and see if things work.

As mentioned, I have been using Sonoma on an M1 MBP with only minor Pro Tools issues for almost a month - the only major issues have to do with Soundflow and a few other apps not working fully.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Chevron; 01-02-2024 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:55 AM

Loads of threads here on Duc on Sonoma already - mostly in this MacOS sub-forum and the main Pro Tools sub-forum.

This is the big one.....
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=426021

TLDR - some problems with Sonoma, mostly inconsequential for the bulk of people. Others using it with no real problems.
A downgrade to Ventura is probably possible on your M2 Studio, but will be a lot of pain, so best to try Sonoma first. The biggest problems that you are likely to experience are 3rd party plugins which aren't yet Sonoma compatible. You can check those first with the vendors before deciding what to do.

Dominic
Old 01-02-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
the only major issues have to do with Soundflow and a few other apps not working fully.
That sounds promising that I will be able to push ahead with the M2, the sound flow thing may mean I have to start doing a few things the long way for the time being though.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Going to check this out now (probably should have done a search to start with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You can check those first with the vendors before deciding what to do.
Dominic
Something else I'd not even thought about, will start checking all my plugins this evening.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_ow View Post
That sounds promising that I will be able to push ahead with the M2, the sound flow thing may mean I have to start doing a few things the long way for the time being though.
I hear you, and do let us know how it goes.

Yeh shame about Soundflow, hopefully Soundflow will be working fully very soon.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:37 PM

I believe I'd posted this to one or two of those threads but I'm using a Studio w/ PT Ultimate and Sonoma and it's flawless.

Well, the video engine continues to crash (its code hasn't made the jump to Silicon yet; still Intel), but that's not because of the OS, it's because of ProTools and it happens on any OS.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm using a Studio w/ PT Ultimate and Sonoma and it's flawless.
That's great to hear and make me a little more optimistic.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:21 PM

So far things are looking promising, I've updated Sonoma to 14.2.1, installed Pro Tools 2023.12 and installed all my plug ins.

Everything seems to be working as it should, I'm not getting any of the problems I've read about in the forum like Pro Tools and Avid link crashing when you close them. I'm also not getting any of the known issues Avid have posted.

My Sonnet chassis arrives next week, so fingers crossed everything works once I switch my playback engine over to HD native!
Old 01-05-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_ow View Post
So far things are looking promising, I've updated Sonoma to 14.2.1, installed Pro Tools 2023.12 and installed all my plug ins.

Everything seems to be working as it should, I'm not getting any of the problems I've read about in the forum like Pro Tools and Avid link crashing when you close them. I'm also not getting any of the known issues Avid have posted.

My Sonnet chassis arrives next week, so fingers crossed everything works once I switch my playback engine over to HD native!
Glad to hear that!