Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 08:21 AM

Default No PTF for XP is a MAJOR mistake

I thought the whole point of PTF was to get people into the software so they would buy plug ins and ad ons etc. Well now that XP is taking over the world, no PTF for XP is really stupid.

As for me, I just bought a computer with XP, got a 24 bit soundcard specifically so I could use ProTools Free. And now I find it does not exist for XP.

I record with an acoustic guitar and mikes, and that is it. I do not NEED any other functions.

However, all the pro studios in NYC use ProTools. So, to have a CD mastered at one of them I must also use ProTools. But I will never be able to afford it other than the free version. I will never buy it because I will never use it other than for very basic recording. But I would be giving a lot of work to the studios here in town that use the pro version. But now I will not, because they won't make a PTF for XP.

Everybody loses.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Re: No PTF for XP is a MAJOR mistake

By the way, I just spent three hours on the internet trying to find someplace where I could buy ProTools 6.4 for Windows XP, just to see what it costs. And I failed. I could not find ANY information of where it is for sale or how much it costs.

Apparently Digidesign could care less for home users.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:02 AM

PT 6.4 is not a stand alone item. It requires a hardware companion. YOur cheapest just into PT would be the Mbox. I have one and love it. It would be perfect for what you are doing. If you want prices. Digidesign has the MRP right on their webpage. You could also try www.musiciansfriend.com and do a search for Pro Tools or check Ebay for a used Mbox(I recomend for a little more get a new one). You'll very easily be able to find pricing.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Apparently Digidesign could care less for home users.
They care about home users. That's why they made the Mbox. It's relatively inexpensive and works GREAT. They also care about making money...and PT Free costs them money to make that they don't get back. Hopefully one of these days they'll have the time to make a PT Free for XP or whathaveyou.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:43 PM

one problem with PT Free. go to Kazaa, type in ProTools, and youll find a cracked version of PTF that has full 32 tracks, just like the real thing. so if they made a XP version, and WHEN it got cracked, then no one would need to buy DigiDesign stuff, cause they could download it for free. i think its very smart for Digi not to release a PTF for XP or OS-X.

go left next time