Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2023, 04:45 AM

Default 500 mono tracks to convert to ST

Problem: I'm exporting a 250 AAF from Nuendo 12, which has trouble doing this in stereo. So I have 500 mono tracks. I want to transform all this into stereo tracks and keep the names, at least that of one of the two tracks with the same name .l and .r. This without doing everything by hand: create an ST track, name it, drag the two mono tracks onto this ST track. Multiplied by 250 times.

I don't see a global function for this. Any tips?
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-18-2023, 04:58 AM

Default Re: 500 mono tracks to convert to ST

Create 250 stereo tracks below 500 mono tracks, select 500 mono tracks and drag 500 mono tracks below. Assuming the 500 tracks are in proper order (tr1.l, tr1.r, tr2.l, tr2.r, etc.), it does the trick.

Otherwise you need to find some kind of audio batch converter.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Create 250 stereo tracks below 500 mono tracks, select 500 mono tracks and drag 500 mono tracks below. Assuming the 500 tracks are in proper order (tr1.l, tr1.r, tr2.l, tr2.r, etc.), it does the trick.

Otherwise you need to find some kind of audio batch converter.
Okay, I'll give it a try. However, I think the left and right are reversed. But that will be another step. Thanks JFreak.

P.S. This thing doesn't keep the original track names.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com

Last edited by cmbourget; 12-18-2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
P.S. This thing doesn't keep the original track names.
Of course not.

PT doesn't care about track names. All it cares is "File ID" (string in wav header, such as "pbTP4dWaB5f" or something easy to read...) -- that is what is primarily used for file relinking, because you may have many files called "the_best_take_ever.wav" with all of them having unique File ID.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Of course not.

PT doesn't care about track names. All it cares is "File ID" (string in wav header, such as "pbTP4dWaB5f" or something easy to read...) -- that is what is primarily used for file relinking, because you may have many files called "the_best_take_ever.wav" with all of them having unique File ID.
I believe they mean the track names that come over from Nuendo in the AAF.

I've never dealt with this many tracks from Nuendo so I've only done it manually.

I wonder if going through AATranslator would help. Worth checking into.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:47 AM

If the clip names are retained in the AAF and you want the track names to be the clip name then an option would be export all the clips from Nuendo as WAV files with the proper .L . R delineation for the channel order. Create a blank session in Pro Tools. Drag the clips from the Finder onto the gray space of the Pro Tools edit window. This should automatically create stereo tracks for each L R mono pair of audio files. As long as the file name is the same for both.

Try it first as a batch of 10 files to make sure it work. If you don’t need Pro Tools to copy the files on import then uncheck that box in prefs.

If it’s just a Track Name thing you can batch rename your tracks as long as they’re sequential. It would help here to get a little more context of exactly what you’re trying to retain from Nuendo.

I’m sure you could also build some automation in Soundflow or Keyboard Maestro for this.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I believe they mean the track names that come over from Nuendo in the AAF.

I've never dealt with this many tracks from Nuendo so I've only done it manually.

I wonder if going through AATranslator would help. Worth checking into.
There are a couple of ways to do it and AAF may not be the best way to go as most AAFs (except for a few) create mono AAFs
Might I suggest you export a 'selected track archive' (which is essentially an xml file) this will maintain any poly channel media (and will contain way more detail than any AAF) and this can be easily converted to a ProTools (PTX) session using AATranslator.

Feel free to PM me.

Additionally, we do have an old utility called Cleaver which can split and recombine stereo media (in batches if need be)

Though it may not be that useful - depends if the media names get mangled in the AAF
Old 12-19-2023, 01:59 AM

Cool PT feature request actually - the ability to split a mono track to stereo or combine stereo to mono. If PT was smart enough to read the track names and spot a .L and .R, naming the new stereo version correctly, that would be very handy.

Even better, have it as part of session import. Have a checkbox to search for LR mono track names, and if finding them import as a single stereo track.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-19-2023, 02:13 AM

What's wrong with the current split to mono command?

Also by creating a stereo (or multichannel) track and dropping clips from another tracks in proper order will populate that stereo (or multichannel) track with your stuff even if they were named inconsistently.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:45 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with the current split to mono command?

Also by creating a stereo (or multichannel) track and dropping clips from another tracks in proper order will populate that stereo (or multichannel) track with your stuff even if they were named inconsistently.
Quite right on split to mono.

Dropping tracks works fine, but as already pointed out then you lose you track names (and it's an extra step of course).

I don't know all the naming conventions from different NLEs, but if all the stereo split conventions can be caught then how would this not be a good thing? Even if there is the odd special case, then it's still less work to do overall.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM