Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM

Default Mbox 2 Pro, No Sound, Fearing the worst...

Hi,

I am new to posting. I have looked and looked and cannot find a solution.

My Mbox 2 Pro no longer puts out sound. Both in Pro Tools and as well just acting as a stand alone sound card for my Mac. It has been a steady decline of functionality over the last few months. It powers up with lights blinking when not connected and staying solid when connected. There has been intermittent clicks and pops throughout this time. Almost as if it was digitally disintegrating.

At the beginning, I could simply unplug the firewire cable and re-insert and it would sort itself out. This was always followed by some quiet clicking and popping.

This has lead me to believe it might be the driver as there has been several crashes at random. Sometimes from waking the computer from Sleep mode, sometimes during a Pro Tools session, or sometimes just plugging the firewire cable in. All of these crash reports point to the the digi hardware via the firewire port. I tried uninstalling protools and re-installing it twice with the two most recent Mbox 2 pro drivers respectively and had no such luck.

When it has been working, it's performance has been very inconsistent with some bigger sessions running smoothly one day and grinding to a halt with H/W Buffer Size DAE errors the next. On the flip side, the other end of the spectrum occurs where the buffer "underflows" and then ProTools inevitably crashes and quits. It's frustrating, to say the least. I don't want to get a new sound card unless i have to. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Matthew

Macbook Pro A1226
Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Mbox 2 Pro (Firewire 400)
Pro Tools 10.3.5 LE
Processor 2.2 GHz INtel Core Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
HD 120 GB SSD