Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-24-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Best Master Software and Best CD Burning Software.

What is the best master software and best CD burning software. I have a G5/dual 1.2/002R.
Just getting into pro tools and its awesome.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Best Master Software and Best CD Burning Softw

Toast from Roxio is a great CD burner.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:56 AM

Izotope's Ozone is pretty good mastering software. I also use Waves, but it's a little expensive.
Pro Tools Carbon
Old 12-24-2006, 09:20 AM

I wish you could still get Waveburner separately from Logic, but if you want to spring for Logic Pro, you do get it.

Although I've been using Jam/Toast for years, Waveburner allows you to do the whole thing graphically. Most of Jam is still text-based. Waveburner also allows you to use separate plugins for each song during the final burn process, so it's a completely separate mastering program vs a CD burning and finalization program like Jam. You can't use plugins in Jam or Toast.

You also can't trim the beginning/end of songs in Jam/Toast, so your mixes have to be ready to go and already mastered. Of course, many people do their mastering right in Protools.

The Waves mastering bundle is quite impressive and quite expensive. I have heard nothing but good things about Isotope Ozone.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:01 PM

if one does buy logic pro is waveburner still a stand alone program I could use without using logic?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:16 PM

Yes, it's a separate app. Some people don't even know about it until months after they buy LogicPro.

I don't know if it would work if you REMOVED Logic since it shares plugins with Logic. WB uses any AU plugin, however; even Guitar Rig2 FX, Auto-tune, and Melodyne come up as an option.

However, the high-end Waves mastering plugins don't pass the AU validation with Waveburner even though they pass with Logic...weird, and Waves simply says they aren't officially supporting Waveburner, only Logic for AU validation.

However, I can use my Waves L2 and C4, but not the L3, PhaseLinEQ, or MBPhaseLinCompressor.

However, you DO get to use a number of plugins from Logic. Some are not available, however, such as Match EQ, and Adaptive Limiter. You do get the LinearPhaseEQ and the Multipressor (multi-band compressor) and their regular limiter (with look-ahead).

It's certainly not worth buying Logic Pro for $995 if all you need is Waveburner, but Logic works nicely with my 002R. It's just a real BEAR to learn coming from years of PT. I'm still struggling with some of it's "ill-Logic".

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Best Master Software and Best CD Burning Software.

I still say the best mastring is a man named Bob
avalable in 3 flavers

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig