Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-22-2016, 11:33 PM

Default Why so soon?

Just wondering why such a short life for 12.6? It was just released on September 29th. Less than three months has to be some sort of a record! Add to that that 12.7 seems to be pretty buggy from what I’m reading. What are the features that warranted a new number? My plan is still in force so It doesn’t matter much, but it does make me curious. Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2016, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Why so soon?

Good question. Maybe the old "crank out an update whether it's ready or not so people think they're getting their money's worth out of their support plan" ploy?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Just wondering why such a short life for 12.6? It was just released on September 29th. Less than three months has to be some sort of a record! Add to that that 12.7 seems to be pretty buggy from what I’m reading. What are the features that warranted a new number? My plan is still in force so It doesn’t matter much, but it does make me curious. Any ideas?
A hook to get those with update plans that expire at the end of the year to renew? No thanks. What a soap opera...

Oh geez sorry Toni C. am I being too negative again?

Last edited by bcwiz; 12-23-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
A hook to get those with update plans that expire at the end of the year to renew? No thanks. What a soap opera...
That's the best explanation I've heard so far. Pathetic.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 12-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Check out the Pro Tools 12.7 Release Notes to see what has changed. We've been posting this info with each version 12 release and all are linked from the Pro Tools Release Notes Index.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 PM

Now headed into my 2nd year of no HD extortion and my world is just fine! Even if they come up with something so over the top that its freakin' insane, it will be another 18 months before they are close to working out all the bugs on that new freakin' insane feature, that I can then pay my $999 extortion then, and still be not out any more had I paid from the beginning, and even more importantly, zero added stress of having to deal with all the bugs that everyone who was on the extortion plan had to deal with during that same period!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
it will be another 18 months before they are close to working out all the bugs on that new freakin' insane feature,
Seems true

Quote:
and even more importantly, zero added stress of having to deal with all the bugs that everyone who was on the extortion plan had to deal with during that same period!!!!
This is for real, I just download them, and save them. It didn't even cross my mind to install 12.7.

It did cross my mind to install 12.6 but 12.5.1 still getting it done. Store them away and maybe one day I will get the bug...when something stops working
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Check out the Pro Tools 12.7 Release Notes to see what has changed. We've been posting this info with each version 12 release and all are linked from the Pro Tools Release Notes Index.
There sure are a lot of bug fixes listed there.

Did the one that prevents Protools from running correctly on a Windows 10 system with Smaart 8.x installed on the same system get fixed?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-24-2016, 12:09 AM

Avid has been doing quarterly releases ever since they started the subscription plan. Unfortunately some of the quarterly releases have been followed by bug fix releases. (For example, PT 12.6.1)

Quote:
Old 12-24-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Now headed into my 2nd year of no HD extortion and my world is just fine!
Still in my first year of using PT 12 without paying for that useless subscription scam, and I totally agree. I congratulate myself on the decision to let the plan lapse. Why anyone continues to pay up for this charade of a model is beyond me.
I'll get back on the train once there's reason for it. And when (if?) this day comes I surely won't have lost any money even if I have to pay the extortion fee. It's going to be a while, that's for sure.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock