Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Omni SPDIF as insert impossible

Is it possible to set the omni spdif as a hardware insert. Basically I want to use an spdif device as a plugin. I don't think its possible but I've read a few things around the place that imply it's possible.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Omni SPDIF as insert impossible

Yes, it's easy. It's the same as any other interface with a Spidf.

Make sure you have Spidf cables going to and from the unit you're hooking up.

Then, in Protools, on whatever track you want to use it as an insert, you go choose an insert from near the top of of the track (in the mixer window), just like you were inserting a plugin. Only instead of choosing "plugin", you choose "I/O", and then choose "SPIDF". And that's it. You're good to go. It's the same way it works on the 003, Mbox Pro, Eleven Rack, or any 3rd party interface, etc.

Note that you may need to make sure the unit you're hooking up is set to external clock (or Spidf) so that it's clocked from the Omni.

Also, in the Omni Hardware tab, make sure your "digital" I/O is set to "Spidf" and not "AES", or "Optical".
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks. I've found the problem. The issue was in the naming of the I/O inserts. The hardware setup was as you described. I suspected this would be the case as the SPDIF was available and working from the track I/O and track send, just not the insert.

If I go into the I/O insert setup the available inserts are analog 3-8. At least that's what I thought. If you delete all the inserts then click "default" it creates the inserts labeled A3-4 A5-6 A7-8. I just assumed these were analog only as I've only been using analog 3-4 for hardware inserts.

Here's the strange part, if I delete all the inserts and click on "new path", choose stereo and tick on the "add default channel assignments" box it creates the inserts with the name "insert" instead of "A". It also adds L R to stereo paths like spdif which is much more obvious.

Long story short, it was probably working fine all along it just that I could never get it to appear in the io as anything other the A5-6 which I assumed was analogue 5-6.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 AM

I use a TC Gold Channel as a SPDIF insert occasionally. Works fine.
You need to setup the OMNI hardware panel, as well as the i/o, so the SPDIF is one of your available i/o pairs.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Yes, the naming of paths on the Omni can be confusing. It basically shows it as input or output 1-8, which can be analog or digital. I may have misworded my desription, but it sounds like you figured it out.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM

No, your wording is fine. Avids I'm not so sure about. So the io paths in the hardware setup are the same paths as in the insert paths in the io setup. As long as they're a match pair in out for example analog out 3 analog in 3 then you can use it as an insert.