Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Power User Editing - The Skunk Works Project

I gave it a try a while ago and it works great. Thanks again!

-Justin
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Ha!! I was thinking of creating the same type of utility the other day after noticing the Digidesign Tech Support utility no longer works on my system. Killer! Worked great on my rig.

I put this up on the first post. Now back to some of these new Skunk Works plug-ins.

Shane
yea i had been meaning to do it for quite a while, especially with all this i7 testing!!! but guess i had to wait till the time was right. i actually had to learn a lot to do this with all the variables involved to make it interchangeable between systems and even figured out the tool tips!!! been trying to figure out that one for awhile to!!! scary though it is being more reliable and quicker than the actual tech support utility!

actually a good day, finished the scripts, learned 2 new features i had been struggling with in the past and after a week of fighting i got all the eeprom chips and soldering done on my h3000b. it is now an h3000 d/se!!! (the big dog for those who dont know the units) the algorithm's and fx are amazing!!! (but my b chip no longer work and like 200 to upgrade it..... no biggie i got pt for time compression and expansion)

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalkerPostAudio View Post
I gave it a try a while ago and it works great. Thanks again!

-Justin
good to hear, been patiently awaiting either good news about compatibility or if it is a failure.....never know till it gets around a bit.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
yea i had been meaning to do it for quite a while, especially with all this i7 testing!!! but guess i had to wait till the time was right. i actually had to learn a lot to do this with all the variables involved to make it interchangeable between systems and even figured out the tool tips!!!
Ya, the variables are pretty cool. I've used them a few times. I still cant say I understand them 100% though. I got them going with some list/mouse wheel stuff. The tool tips I sorted out but I'm very much anti-tool tip. One of the first things I learnt so I can leave them out.

I say we start changing the UI and get rid of that gawdy and horrid orange bold text all over the place.(which isnt on the Mac build by the way except I/O)

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Ya, the variables are pretty cool. I've used them a few times. I still cant say I understand them 100% though. I got them going with some list/mouse wheel stuff. The tool tips I sorted out but I'm very much anti-tool tip. One of the first things I learnt so I can leave them out.

I say we start changing the UI and get rid of that gawdy and horrid orange bold text all over the place.(which isnt on the Mac build by the way except I/O)

Shane
you dont like tool tips huh...............your not supposed to tell me this stuff!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
good to hear, been patiently awaiting either good news about compatibility or if it is a failure.....never know till it gets around a bit.
I checked out the readme and decided not to use it. I have only ever had a need to delete all the databases folders on the system, not applications or preferences. Preferences is especially annoying because you then have to go back to PT and reset everything manually. I have yet to ever find a problem that deleting apps or prefs fixes. but databases, yes.

Just as an aside, IMHO this is not a utility that is best designed as something you run and then doesn't do/show anything until keys (that you hopefully remember) are pressed, and then when done you then exit the program before doing anything else. It's more useful (and safer) as a little prog/batch/ahk that you execute, a menu pops up, you do what you need from the menu and then quit. Why not?

--Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 PM

That is a valid point and would be nice if it had some kind of UI. But at the same time d is pretty easy to remember if that is all you need.

-Justin
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblue View Post
I checked out the readme and decided not to use it. I have only ever had a need to delete all the databases folders on the system, not applications or preferences. Preferences is especially annoying because you then have to go back to PT and reset everything manually. I have yet to ever find a problem that deleting apps or prefs fixes. but databases, yes.

Just as an aside, IMHO this is not a utility that is best designed as something you run and then doesn't do/show anything until keys (that you hopefully remember) are pressed, and then when done you then exit the program before doing anything else. It's more useful (and safer) as a little prog/batch/ahk that you execute, a menu pops up, you do what you need from the menu and then quit. Why not?

--Bill
hey bill, thank for the thoughts!!

understand your concern. i thought about a ui but decided honestly did not want to spend more time on it, not really worth it. i could create a balloon to tell you "d send to rec bin or shft d to delete" kind of thing when launched and would be quick. but it is a 1 purpose app imo, if you launch it, you know what you want, do it, it closes out. no way to make mistakes. i added the balloon tip to actually show something is being done. and chose d for delete.

i originally was not even gonna give the option of going to the recycle bin, just delete them, but thought it would be nice to have the option.

i dont delete prefs and such all the time either but when i do it is a pain, and the app data folder is difficult to find if your not hip to windows hiding folders and such. but during troubleshooting, system testing, dverb testing, deleting these parameters are a must. it is the first thing also digi will tell you to do for system problems. of course resetting your prefs can be a hassle but i know for me, i know exactly what i want and it takes a few secs to set everything.

i have actually thought about created a more involved process of after you have your prefs set, copy it into a folder in your docs, and then when you run the app and have it delete everything and then copy your clean setup prefs back into the prefs folder. but did not have time this go around.

i would be glad to create a mod to just delete databases and nothing else if you want it. you have always been great about giving feedback and seem to try to push me a little more which is good!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 AM

I think I have a good idea for a new script. You know how if you zoom in while having a selection on screen the edit window centers intself to the beginning of the selection or maybe the beginning isn't on screen but the end is and you zoom in and the zoom centers the window to the end of the selection? Does anyone else besides me find that really annoying? I still find it handy to zoom into the edit insertion point when that is on screen, but hardly ever the beginning of a selection. Why can't you zoom to whatever is in the middle of the edit window like when the selection is entirely off screen? What do you guys think?

-Justin
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
hey bill, thank for the thoughts!!

understand your concern. i thought about a ui but decided honestly did not want to spend more time on it, not really worth it. i could create a balloon to tell you "d send to rec bin or shft d to delete" kind of thing when launched and would be quick. but it is a 1 purpose app imo, if you launch it, you know what you want, do it, it closes out. no way to make mistakes. i added the balloon tip to actually show something is being done. and chose d for delete.
Yeah, I get it. BTW, the balloon thing doesn't always show up on my system. Is there a time delay on it or something. I used d on two test occasions -- the first time nothing showed up, but the second time it did.

Quote:
i originally was not even gonna give the option of going to the recycle bin, just delete them, but thought it would be nice to have the option.
Definitely! That's a good feature, and I'm glad it's the default.

Quote:
i dont delete prefs and such all the time either but when i do it is a pain, and the app data folder is difficult to find if your not hip to windows hiding folders and such. but during troubleshooting, system testing, dverb testing, deleting these parameters are a must. it is the first thing also digi will tell you to do for system problems. of course resetting your prefs can be a hassle but i know for me, i know exactly what i want and it takes a few secs to set everything.
Same here, it's just an annoying step. Deletion of the DAE settings is more of a problem because it affects various plug-ins in ongoing sessions.

Quote:
i have actually thought about created a more involved process of after you have your prefs set, copy it into a folder in your docs, and then when you run the app and have it delete everything and then copy your clean setup prefs back into the prefs folder. but did not have time this go around.
That's a good idea too!

Quote:
i would be glad to create a mod to just delete databases and nothing else if you want it. you have always been great about giving feedback and seem to try to push me a little more which is good!

I couldn't be the only one... could I? Maybe an extra key that just deletes databases? Too bad d is already used!

--Bill