Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Aux track solo isolate

We are sitting here mixing and are wondering if anyone can think of a time when you WOULDNT want an aux track in solo isolate. (I'm sure there are some extremely strange and unusual times) but on the whole 99 times out of 100 you want your new auxes to come up in solo isolate mode as standard ne c'est pas?
So come on Digi, time for V.6.9.what-ever-is-next.......

(feel free to tell me there is a preference somewhere that does this........)
Old 06-25-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Aux track solo isolate

If I am simply using Pro Tools as a virtual mixer for all my external hardware synth inputs I use Aux Inputs and I want to be able to solo them as normal. Auxes are not just for returns in the box you know.

There is no preference for automatically enabling/disabling Solo Isolate, but if you want to change their state quickly:
1. Create a group of all your Aux Returns. (It does not have to be enabled)
2. Click to the left of the group letter in the groups window to select all members of that group from now on.
3. Shift+Option+Command+click on the solo button to enable/disable solo isolate.

Does that answer your question?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
but on the whole 99 times out of 100 you want your new auxes to come up in solo isolate
I'm with Tweakhead...

My ratio of returns vs. inputs/instruments on auxes is about 22 out of 100. Sometimes (backgrouand vocals stereo master, stems, subgroups) I prefer to use my auxes as group masters, and solo safe the individual tracks, so that I can solo the stem or submix. So maybe my ratio is 12 out of 100.

Additionally, most of the time, I use "import session data" to bring in returns (with plugs, solo safe state, and routing already built in), whereas with inputs, it's usually made to order. So my actual ratio may even be lower than 18/100.

And your key phrase: "mixing" -- many of us use protools to track before we mix... and for those of us mixing ITB, sometimes we build our mixes as we go... so it isn't as black and white as it may appear to someone "just" mixing.

I think default [off] (as it is) is not a bad starting place.

jr
Old 06-25-2005, 11:21 AM

also, a lot of times i have things in pre-fader mode, but i want to solo something else on a different aux. if they are always in solo safe, then i have to mute them if i am soloing on a different aux. it is always a little complicated to mix in a complcated way so...yeah, when i want to solo safe my auxes, i create them, then they are selected, and i 'shift-option click' on 'em to solo safe 'em. not so bad.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-25-2005, 01:05 PM

I guess i see where you are all coming from but I would like to have a preference that allows me to have this option.
If I was using an aux as a 'subgroup master' and wanted to solo an individual element I would have to solo isolate it in this case, or else solo it aswell.
With regards tracking - same argument really in a normal recording a band type way I'd like them isolated and if you are trying to get things going in a hurry, the less clicks the better
Old 06-25-2005, 01:08 PM

WHats ITB?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
If I was using an aux as a 'subgroup master' and wanted to solo an individual element I would have to solo isolate it in this case, or else solo it aswell.
But some people might want the converse. If you solo isolate the audio tracks then one click on the subgroup master solo button allows you to hear only the audio of that submix. Because Pro Tools is used by many people in totally different ways it is almost impossible for Digi to have a default set of characteristic behavior that pleases everyone. It is best to just find a good way of accomplishing something and get fast at doing it.

BTW ITB means "in the box". BTW means "by the way". ;-)
Old 06-25-2005, 07:18 PM

Here's one I like:
Say you have a guitar track recorded with two mics that are still on separate tracks. I often send them to a mono aux send, so I can process them together without using that many plug ins.
Then it's actually advantageous to solo isolate the source tracks and leave the aux send un-solo isolated. Now you solo the Aux track and here whatever you sent there, because your source tracks don't get muted.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Next best thing-
Just make one aux in your template the way you want it.
Or for that matter, make a couple aux tracks. One isolated, one not etc.
Simply copy the track and you're off an running.
That's even better than using a pref.
Even if you're working on an outside session, just make one empty aux track and use track copy whenever you need one.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:03 AM

Is command clicking on the solo button so difficult? I would find a preference to be more of a PITA - you'd have to set it or check to see if it's set before you start working - far more hassle than a command click when you want it.

I say leave it alone...

Just my 2 bits...

-monte-