Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Default More Waves Central follies for OSX users

Just logged into Waves Central (aka WC) and it went through it's process of checking for updates to the program itself. Up pops a message saying that WC will no longer support online installation of Waves plugins and I would assume this means updates as well. One can still use the offline installer to install stuff. This is for OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5 users. WC can still be used to manage license assets in those two OSX versions.

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:15 AM

Default Re: More Waves Central follies for OSX users

Update:
Got an email from Waves asking to participate in a survey and if I did in return I'd get a $10US voucher to use on a purchase. So I did the survey and got the voucher; thought I'd take advantage of the current sale and got C6 for $39 (AD with discount was only $41.15 and wouldn't take the Waves voucher) through Waves. Being I purchased directly from them it was already registered so all I had to do was to install it and get the license on my machine.

So I used the current WC version that was like I wrote above and downloaded the license asset to my computer. I then downloaded the offline installer, unpacked it and installed it. Went to run it and because I still had the Ethernet cable plugged in it went through it's update and got me right back to where I started. So I unplugged the cable to the 'net and reinstalled the offline installer. Used that to install C6. So far it appears to be working okay - haven't had much chance to actually work with it.

Moral of the story:
If you're forced to have to use the offline installer because of OSX incompatibilities (and you only have one computer) and you have a newer WC unplug/disable your internet connection before running it.

And therein lies why I'm an idiot in all this - I do have another computer that does my Photoshop and regular internet work (email, etc.). Should have followed what Waves wrote about installing WC on that machine and using a ram stick (in my case a memory card like from a DSLR) for my license assets. I wouldn't have to go through what I did with the WC self-updating.

Last but not least:
Any new plugins released after March 23 I think it is will not be added to the offline installer.

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Update:
Got an email from Waves asking to participate in a survey and if I did in return I'd get a $10US voucher to use on a purchase. So I did the survey and got the voucher; thought I'd take advantage of the current sale and got C6 for $39 (AD with discount was only $41.15 and wouldn't take the Waves voucher) through Waves. Being I purchased directly from them it was already registered so all I had to do was to install it and get the license on my machine.

So I used the current WC version that was like I wrote above and downloaded the license asset to my computer. I then downloaded the offline installer, unpacked it and installed it. Went to run it and because I still had the Ethernet cable plugged in it went through it's update and got me right back to where I started. So I unplugged the cable to the 'net and reinstalled the offline installer. Used that to install C6. So far it appears to be working okay - haven't had much chance to actually work with it.

Moral of the story:
If you're forced to have to use the offline installer because of OSX incompatibilities (and you only have one computer) and you have a newer WC unplug/disable your internet connection before running it.

And therein lies why I'm an idiot in all this - I do have another computer that does my Photoshop and regular internet work (email, etc.). Should have followed what Waves wrote about installing WC on that machine and using a ram stick (in my case a memory card like from a DSLR) for my license assets. I wouldn't have to go through what I did with the WC self-updating.

Last but not least:
Any new plugins released after March 23 I think it is will not be added to the offline installer.
There's a form on the AD website to fill out that allows AD to register your Waves voucher, and allows you to use the code during checkout.

I did it yesterday for my dbx 160 purchase.

Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7 930, 12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
2 WD Black Cavier 640 Gb SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache
Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHL View Post
There's a form on the AD website to fill out that allows AD to register your Waves voucher, and allows you to use the code during checkout.

I did it yesterday for my dbx 160 purchase.
Damn damn damn damn
I knew AD allowed the standard Waves coupon codes during checkout but I didn't know about this. Did you do the survey thing and use the code from that for the 160? That's what I'm talking about.

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Yes I did.

Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7 930, 12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
2 WD Black Cavier 640 Gb SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache
Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Last week all my Waves licenses stopped working. I guess it had something to do with my ethernet card.

Now they have to be on a flash drive attached to my system to work. Not that big of a PITA and Tech Support was quick and awesome. I may have to buy a hub now, though.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Last week all my Waves licenses stopped working. I guess it had something to do with my ethernet card.

Now they have to be on a flash drive attached to my system to work. Not that big of a PITA and Tech Support was quick and awesome. I may have to buy a hub now, though.
Let me guess - you had your licenses on the Cloud right? I don't know if you have to run WC to access those or not (I authorize to my computer) but WC just had an update last week and you may have run into that. So it's probably not your ethernet card or connection.

Do you have a memory card reader on your system? If so that and a memory card can hold your licenses.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 AM

No, my licenses were on my Mac. When I booted up none of the licenses were found. I have a MacMini Server.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 AM

We had the same once, so right now I store all my Waves licenses on a USB thumbdrive next to the iLok.