How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2017, 01:17 PM

Default No Midi Data on Midi and Instrument Tracks

Hey Guys,

I am running Pro Tools 10, Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 interface, Yamaha Motif XF8,X8 Studio monitors,Mac Book Pro 10.8.5

I am trying to record Instrument tracks on Pro Tools 10……The Outputs show both Audio and Midi levels are getting info and the audio coming out of the monitors is perfect……but when I record……..no midi notes show up and thus no "Music notes" show up in Score Editor…….and No Midi Level when trying to Record on Midi Tracks..

I have uninstalled both Pro Tools 10 and Yamaha Version 1.5.0

Jeff
Old 04-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Default Re: No Midi Data on Midi and Instrument Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
Hey Guys,

I am running Pro Tools 10, Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 interface, Yamaha Motif XF8,X8 Studio monitors,Mac Book Pro 10.8.5

I am trying to record Instrument tracks on Pro Tools 10……The Outputs show both Audio and Midi levels are getting info and the audio coming out of the monitors is perfect……but when I record……..no midi notes show up and thus no "Music notes" show up in Score Editor…….and No Midi Level when trying to Record on Midi Tracks..

I have uninstalled both Pro Tools 10 and Yamaha Version 1.5.0

Jeff
It sounds like you're using or have tried both Instrument tracks and separate MIDI and an aux track (to host the vi) right? How do you have the Motif connected to your computer - traditional 5 pin or USB for the MIDI? You need to have one or the other and make a selection for which to use in the Motif. Also make sure that you have 'use first selected track' in the PT MIDI preferences tab.

Have you made the necessary connections in OSX audio/MIDI setup?

This is basic but try this:
Create a new MIDI track and see if there's any activity on the track meter when you play your Motif. If there is then at least the Motif and computer are communicating correctly.

QAPLA!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:07 PM

I use both 5 pin for Midi and USB for Audio……THe Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 is for both Audio and Midi……and yes I have tried both MIDI tracks and Instrument tracks and also did have the other setting you mentioned…Thanks!….Still working on it!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
I use both 5 pin for Midi and USB for Audio……THe Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 is for both Audio and Midi……and yes I have tried both MIDI tracks and Instrument tracks and also did have the other setting you mentioned…Thanks!….Still working on it!
Are you trying to record the audio output of the Motif in PT? If you are using the Scarlett for both audio & MIDI there's no need to use the USB of the Motif for audio - use the regular analog outputs of the Motif into the Scarlett for audio.

QAPLA!