Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 04-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Mix Control and Sample Rate Changing

This seems to have gotten much easier since PT 12.x Here's all you need to do to avoid all kinds of hangups and issues.

Let's say you have your MixControl set at 44.1k and now you want to work with a session at 48k. Simply exit PT, change the sample rate on the MC, and reopen PT and load your new session at 48k. Vice versa going the other way.

Now, if you forget to change the MC sample rate, and you open a session at a different rate. Just, close the session and PT, change the MC, and reopen PT and the session and you should be good to go.

Since 12.x I have not had ANY crashes or lockups due to this issue. (I have had crashes for other mysterious reasons, but that's another story!)

Hope this helps!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Mix Control and Sample Rate Changing

I'm still using PT12 Win7 because I've heard that it's a safe version of windows and PT for the most part. Someone can tell me if there is a more stable version please?

I've found great success with:

-Install ASIO4all
- set the sample rate in mixcontrol first.
- Open the "Sound" option in the windows control panel (small icons view), find your sound card and right click on it. You can go into properties>advanced and check you are using the right sample rate and bit depth.
- I keep the two boxes underneath ticked.
- now that your sample rate and bit depth are set, switch off your focusrite unit. I know this advised against but personally I don't mind. (EDIT: My system seems to load up fine when in 44.1k, without needing to power off the sound card, so don't switch it off unless you are attempting to switch to 48k)
- Open PT as administrator
- If you are set for 44.1k and you did not switch off your sound card, you should be able to create/open a session without problems, and you are done. Congrats.

If you are trying to switch into 48k, follow the steps above, then continue with these steps:

- Create/Open 48k session (hopefully the playback engine will default to ASIO4all)
- Now switch on your focusrite product (Saffire56 in my case)
- In PT go to Setup>Playback Engine and change it to your focusrite product (Saffire in my case)
- Click yes to save and close your session. It should reboot your session with the correct sample rate.

The main problems with switching into 48k:

-- The sound card must be switched off when PT is loaded (if you are trying switch into 48k). It seems that PT loading up is what trips the soundcard into confusion.
-as long as you can load up a session in ASIO4all, you can turn the saffire back on and switch the playback engine back to the saffire.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by illution1; 02-04-2018 at 12:54 AM.