Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Default Glyph drive GTP50 warning signs?

Hey folks,

Looking for anyone that has experience with a Glyph drive failing?

As it stands I have a Glyph GTP50 FW connected to my MBP then my Saffire. In order for the setup to work I have to turn on the drive first, then my octo pre, then my Saffire, then my MBP. The last two days when I first turn on my Octo pre or Saffire the Glyph drive shuts off.

Is this a warning sign that the PSU on the Glyph is on the fritz? I'm currently running my secondary BU and ran primary BU last night.

I can't chew up my TB port, any recommendations on a replacements?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Glyph drive GTP50 warning signs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Hi, What do you mean - or is this a typo?

I've daisy-chained firewire devices before (audio interface and hard drive) and it worked, but I did have more connection issues. Not sure is your situation is a sign of the drive going bad, but definitely have a backup!

I just bought a LaCie Rugged SSD USB 3.0/Thunderbolt drive and love it. I use the USB port on my main DAW and the Thunderbolt on the MBP since the USB ports are 2.0 on it. It's only 250GB, but it allows me to work on current projects wherever I go.

Also, FWIW, I bought the OWC Data Doubler kit and put a 250GB SSD in my MBP for the system drive, and used the old system drive for storage. That along with a 16GB memory upgrade and the LaCie drive and my MBP runs like a new computer.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hi, What do you mean - or is this a typo?

I've daisy-chained firewire devices before (audio interface and hard drive) and it worked, but I did have more connection issues. Not sure is your situation is a sign of the drive going bad, but definitely have a backup!

I just bought a LaCie Rugged SSD USB 3.0/Thunderbolt drive and love it. I use the USB port on my main DAW and the Thunderbolt on the MBP since the USB ports are 2.0 on it. It's only 250GB, but it allows me to work on current projects wherever I go.

Also, FWIW, I bought the OWC Data Doubler kit and put a 250GB SSD in my MBP for the system drive, and used the old system drive for storage. That along with a 16GB memory upgrade and the LaCie drive and my MBP runs like a new computer.

Not a typo, my thunderbolt port is tied up with a monitor adapter. I have my fw units daisy chained and has worked for the last three years. Just the last two days I've had some weirdness. I actually a brain fart I think and have not been booting my rig in the right sequence. At one point today my interface wouldn't power up and turning the drive on then my octo pre would cause the drive to turn off. The weird thing about that is that they aren't even connected.

Either way, I think it's a sign I replace the drive. Since I only use the mbp a USB 3 drive is no dice since it's only USB 2. Did you get the owc drive? I was thinking that route, except $.26 on the dollar right now for me is really bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Hey folks,

Looking for anyone that has experience with a Glyph drive failing?

As it stands I have a Glyph GTP50 FW connected to my MBP then my Saffire. In order for the setup to work I have to turn on the drive first, then my octo pre, then my Saffire, then my MBP. The last two days when I first turn on my Octo pre or Saffire the Glyph drive shuts off.

Is this a warning sign that the PSU on the Glyph is on the fritz? I'm currently running my secondary BU and ran primary BU last night.

I think you mean GPT50 right? I have a pair of them in 2 terabyte size and other than one having an interface board crap out on me after about a month (I've had them now for close to 4 years) they've been solid. They're now my backup drives as I have a LaCie thunderbolt drive case that has 2 separate drives in it (one for samples and one to record to). From time to time I swap things around and use the Glyphs as my operational drives and the Lacie as backup - that's just to exercise the drives. I don't have to daisy chain them as one Glyphs runs off my iMac's FW800 port and the other off a thunderbolt to FW800 adapter off m second thunderbolt port.

Daisy chaining things can sometimes take a little experimenting to get it right. Try changing around the order of connection and see what happens. Just remember that if anything is FW400 to put that as last in the chain.

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I think you mean GPT50 right? I have a pair of them in 2 terabyte size and other than one having an interface board crap out on me after about a month (I've had them now for close to 4 years) they've been solid. They're now my backup drives as I have a LaCie thunderbolt drive case that has 2 separate drives in it (one for samples and one to record to). From time to time I swap things around and use the Glyphs as my operational drives and the Lacie as backup - that's just to exercise the drives. I don't have to daisy chain them as one Glyphs runs off my iMac's FW800 port and the other off a thunderbolt to FW800 adapter off m second thunderbolt port.

Daisy chaining things can sometimes take a little experimenting to get it right. Try changing around the order of connection and see what happens. Just remember that if anything is FW400 to put that as last in the chain.

Yeah sorry for the typo, early morning panic. Just strange that it's worked like a dream for the last 3 years if not longer and now is being weird. I'm gonna change my boot pattern and see if that solves things. Either way I'm replacing the drive with a glyph s1000. Just to be safe. Can't do the data doubler because the Canadian solar sucks!

Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah sorry for the typo, early morning panic. Just strange that it's worked like a dream for the last 3 years if not longer and now is being weird. I'm gonna change my boot pattern and see if that solves things. Either way I'm replacing the drive with a glyph s1000. Just to be safe. Can't do the data doubler because the Canadian solar sucks!

Why not change the order of connection and see what happens?
Do you have your stuff on some kind of power protection like an ups or at least surge protection? If not you could have been hit by something sour in the AC mains. My daw system is on an APC ups that completely regenerates the incoming AC to a true sine wave; a lot of ups's do not have true sine wave out but have a stair-stepped approximation. The only things NOT on the ups are my audio interface, MIDI interface my two external h/w synths and monitor speakers (those are all on a surge protector separate from the ups) and that surge protector and ups are plugged into the same AC outlet.

You'd be surprised how dirty commercial AC power is.

Something to try is to pare down the load on the FW computer port - start with the Glyphs and then add back in one at a time the rest of the equipment. It may turn out the problem is not the drives themselves but something interacting with them from another piece in the chain.

BTW - the way I found the problem with the GPT50 that failed was I was getting aae35 or aae50 (I forget which) errors and filenames were getting corrupted. Finally one day there was a pop from one of the drives and it stopped working. Sent it back to Glyph and they replaced what they call the 'bridge board' which is the interface board between the drive and computer. All data on the drive was completely intact.

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM

I will try those things. I do feel like I was having a brain fart and wasn't powering up in the right sequence. KISS principle, if that doesn't solve the problem I'll crawl behind the rig and start requiring things.

I'm getting no data issues, just a single power down issue at start up. Before the computer is even turned on. Yes I'm using surge protection from furman, no ups. I know, it's on the list.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
I will try those things. I do feel like I was having a brain fart and wasn't powering up in the right sequence. KISS principle, if that doesn't solve the problem I'll crawl behind the rig and start requiring things.

I'm getting no data issues, just a single power down issue at start up. Before the computer is even turned on. Yes I'm using surge protection from furman, no ups. I know, it's on the list.

Something just came to mind: when you say the GPT shuts down do you mean the little green led on the front panel goes dark? Stupid question I know but it had to be asked because as you should remember the power button has to be held for a few seconds until it goes dark and the drive powers down. That was something Glyph did to prevent accidental shut downs in case someone brushed up against the front panel; IOW to make sure one really wanted to shut the unit down.

Ups's are a good thing as I've had one give itself up to save over $3k in stereo/tv equipment at home (all my electronics are on ups's and I totally unplug my recording setup when a thunderstorm is in the area). $200 ups to save $3k in equipment - I call that a real bargain.

QAPLA!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Something just came to mind: when you say the GPT shuts down do you mean the little green led on the front panel goes dark? Stupid question I know but it had to be asked because as you should remember the power button has to be held for a few seconds until it goes dark and the drive powers down. That was something Glyph did to prevent accidental shut downs in case someone brushed up against the front panel; IOW to make sure one really wanted to shut the unit down.

Ups's are a good thing as I've had one give itself up to save over $3k in stereo/tv equipment at home (all my electronics are on ups's and I totally unplug my recording setup when a thunderstorm is in the area). $200 ups to save $3k in equipment - I call that a real bargain.

Yeah the blue light on the front turns off and the fans turn off without even touching anything. It does seem that the issue was my own blatant stupidity. I messed up my book sequence and all seems ok now.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah the blue light on the front turns off and the fans turn off without even touching anything. It does seem that the issue was my own blatant stupidity. I messed up my book sequence and all seems ok now.
That is weird that happens when it shouldn't (something is telling the drive to shut down when that's not part of normal usage). Glad you got it sorted for now but I'd not trust the drives until they get fixed and they're probably out of warranty anyways.

QAPLA!