Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2001, 06:49 PM

Default Re: If you like the TDM plug in setting, how many of you Audio Suite them?e with i

I usually am really non-comittal, althuogh I wholeheartedly agree with DJ about the productivity issue. I am much too undecided/perfectionist so once I start going back to a mix, I tweak way too long on it. I usually just use the plugs instead of AS my data, but as of reading this thread (now), I think for the current project I am going to start ASing it...only working on a 001, which is going to give my little host here a break, I am sure (maybe I can use some BF plugs realtime!).

Is there a way of somehow securing regions I am not using so I can't delete them when I choose "delete unused"? Or do I have to do it with the playlist? Which I don't mind by the way, but if there is a less time consuming way, I'd like to know...

Juergen
Old 01-14-2001, 04:30 AM

Default Re: If you like the TDM plug in setting, how many of you Audio Suite them?e with i

Juergen here is a mind reader!

What is the way to keep the origional? I do a lot of select unused and remove and "save session in"....
Presently I am on a project that will have a superstar mixer finish the job, so I would be weary of doing anything too rad...
On my own stuff, hmmm... drums often need so much doing to them, I had a 'dificult/demanding' artist surprise me that they wanted another guy to do a re-mix (in Cubase! Oh the shame!) Anyhow if I had AS'ed the audio the mixers job would have been either:
A) quicker
B) harder as it tied his hands re basic sounds...

Anyhow interesting discussion

Keep em coming!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-14-2001, 04:32 AM

I suppose one could burn to a CDR "old un eq'ed drum kit" Hmmmm.
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-14-2001, 05:20 AM

<<What is the way to keep the origional?>>

When I want to protect the original file(s) from 'select unused' I create a new playlist on the track with the original take. The files are then considered to be in use, but they're out of the way.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tld (edited January 14, 2001).]
Old 01-14-2001, 10:54 AM

Ar har!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-14-2001, 08:07 PM

What kills me is when I got stereo loops going and i have to save the regiosn in playlistsm one for L and one for R, I guess 5.1 is going to fix that, but so far it's been a freaking headache with a playlist that looks like a damn shopping list...makes the file I want to find hard to see after a long day (up to 30 seconds or so, and then my head starts spinning from staring at a fixed point on the screen)...Maybe I need to start being more serious about taking breaks...

Anyhow, BACK to the topic...strangely enough, I had never considered the cd burning option. And I think the playlist option is the best one so far. Maybe I just need to call the original tracks something like "ORIGINAL lt" "ORIGINAL mt" "Original snare" so they're easy to spot.

What is your guys' experience with frequency behavior (lows or highs) with the different plugin compressors like BF La2a, 1176, or the d3? I have just gotten them and am anxious to start using them on the mix I am starting Tuesday.

Juergen
Old 01-15-2001, 02:36 PM

I've found recently that I've been AS-ing more and more as I've been hitting the DSP capacity of our system (2x dsp farms). I do agree its a good way of committing to a mix - still the tweaker in me still fights to find any way of keeping the plugins resident on the tracks

I did come across a problem recently though that I couldnt resolve! Sometimes when I use gates on kicks + snrs I key off an duplicate of the track moved slightly earlier in time - usually to get the gate opening fractionally b4 the actuall sound allowing me to have a fast attack without clipping the front edge off the sound (or making it sound un-natural).

I did try to AS using this routine - setting up the external key + keying off the track shifted earlier in time. Only problem was that the sound was definitely different in terms of the way the gate was behaving - I know the settings were the same becuase I had used a preset. So Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem / used it succesfully?

Many thanks in advance,
e
Old 01-15-2001, 06:51 PM

Hmm I wWAS daydreaming that a "performance' plug in Would be a poor subject for AS - an EQ I can immagine, a gate not...
interesting,,,
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-17-2001, 08:23 AM

Jules,
I dont suppose you could er. clarify what you meant by that post could you?

Cheers m8
Old 01-18-2001, 12:51 AM

Yes... use "duplicate" in your playlist before your do file based processing. It's a very slow road when you are doing this over 11 tracks of drums, but when it's on vox or gt's, etc., it's not so bad. The good news is, that PT's 5.1 will allow you to group playlists, making drum based processing a breeze (if you like to do that). Can't wait till it's released.

The other thing to do is, to bus your effected tracks to new tracks and record them. Use "new" in your playlist over all your original drum tracks, then drag up the newly recorded effected tracks to your original drum tracks. If you don't like the results, you can always go back to the original tracks in your playlist. Then you don't have to second guess yourself about the quality you are getting from AS. You can also line them up with the original track (before you drag them up) to compensate for any delay the effects are adding. It takes alot of the guess work out of the AS question.

I always have my drums using realtime plugins, and when I am in a DSP crunch during a mix, I use file based FX on everything else (gt's, bass, BV's, etc.) so I can keep my drums fluid throughout the mix. The drums are too important (especially in rock) in how the mix balances, to commit them to file based processing in my humble opinion.

I am probably telling you stuff you already know.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Stratman (edited January 18, 2001).]