Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM

Default Used PT license

So I'm in the process of potentially moving from Logic to PT.

I bought what I had assumed is a legitimate used PT 10/11 license on eBay, and the seller transferred the license into my iLok account. I've downloaded PT 11 (from the seller's link), installed and I'm up and running on my machine. I asked him about registering with avid and he's being pretty cagey about it, so I'm now wondering if the license I have is legit. It seems there's a registration number that I need to get all squared away, which was not provided in the sale.

PT seems to work fine, but I'd like to register it with avid so all's on the up and up, as well as getting info on updates, upgrades in the future etc.

Have I been had? It was a good bit cheaper than buying PT11 straight out, but not cheaper than Logic X

Hoping I'm not a sucker...
Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Used PT license

If the license on the iLok works it should be legitimate. If it was stolen or some other shenanigans there is a chance the license could get revoked by Pace/iLok and go poof off your iLok some time in future. Your protection there is only buying from well trusted sellers on EBay.

If the software has already been registered, you can't register it again. This is why the seller is likely cagey. That means you don't get access to updates to Pro Tools 11 in your Avid account etc. and will need to rely on the seller or somebody else to provide those to you in future, or the seller to just hand over access to their Avid.com account if they are just totally getting out of Pro Tools.

The time to sort all this out is before you buy, but if it was cheap you should not have much to loose.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 PM

Yeah used assets without hardware won't be able to be registered with avid.....nothing cagey about it.

Been that way since PT9

Don't worry everything's legit and will work forever (unless pace revokes it, for theft prior to sale)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:00 PM

OK, got it, thanks guys.

I suppose the only downsides are that I have to rely on the seller for any updates, and if/when I ever wanted to move to v12, avid wouldn't sell it to me at the upgrade price...

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
OK, got it, thanks guys.

I suppose the only downsides are that I have to rely on the seller for any updates, and if/when I ever wanted to move to v12, avid wouldn't sell it to me at the upgrade price...

Thanks!
Yes you have to rely on the seller for software updates or ideally see if they will just give you access to their Avid.com account (esp. say they are getting out of Pro Tools altogether).

I would hope you should able to buy an upgrade to future versions of Pro Tools as they usually just rely on having a iLok license to surrender. However nobody knows for sure what Avid might do in future. And Avid pretty much has their head buried in a dark place right now over licensing, subscriptions, support, etc. what a mess.... (and why more folks are likely moving to Logic than moving the other way...).
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 PM

Default Used PT license

Ugh maybe not.....lots of times they just want the Ilok asset to be surrendered

Historically speaking edit
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 02-17-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Or maybe not, ... anybody here purchased a Pro Tools 11 upgrade with "support" recently? Where Avid wanted your Avid.com account info, did that all work OK with a used license asset in the iLok and nothing in your Avid Account tied to that license?