Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 AM

Location: Curently on a Cruise Ship in the Caribbean, normally Portland, OR
Default How To Use Pro Tools Offline

How do I use Pro Tools offline? When I load up the program and am not connected to the internet I get a message informing me that I need to connect to the internet in order to proceed, and when I click OK the program shuts down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jeffro; 12-21-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: PT 18.10.0.246 - thread moved from PT12 section
Old 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Re: How To Use Pro Tools Offline

Is this the free PT First version or a full PT12 as you posted in the PT12 section?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2018, 09:12 AM

This is the full PT12.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Then you must have been trying to open a cloud session which requires an internet connection also called a ”project” I believe.

Start a new session where you set your harddrive as the session target for the recording. Make sure it isn’t set to project or cloud session.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Thank you Southsidemusic. I'm doing some audio editing on a session that has already been recorded. Is it possible to change that setting on an existing file?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Is it a Session (local) or a Project (cloud)? Internet is required to create a Project (cloud session) but after creation, a local copy is cached so you can work on that without an internet connection. Might help to know the exact message you're getting as well as the exact version of PT you have installed. Can you please reply with screenshots?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:16 PM

I attached a screenshot, thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 490A4644-7014-45C4-9968-12DEA1D05786.jpg (39.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-21-2018, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the screenshot of the error.
  1. What version do you have installed? Get Info on the Pro Tools app in Applications.
  2. What version did you create this Session with?
I see you have Pro Tools First (license activated to a MacBook Pro) and a Pro Tools Ultimate Trial (license activated to iLok Cloud). The latter will require an internet connection (see avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/iLok-Cloud-FAQ) so to work offline you'd need to Close Cloud Session (in iLok License Manager) and activate the Pro Tools Ultimate license to an iLok. Alternatively, you could run Pro Tools First (launch Pro Tools First and then open a Project, or open a Session if you have an Avid Cloud plan).
Old 12-21-2018, 03:10 PM

iLok Licence Manager closed on me , I believe because I don’t have my Mac connected to the internet so I couldn’t close the cloud session. Does having an internet connection transfer data when I’m using Pro tools? I can maintain a connection but I can’t pay for constant data transferring. I would need to disable cloud backup which I don’t use anyway but I don’t know how to do that.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
iLok Licence Manager closed on me , I believe because I don’t have my Mac connected to the internet so I couldn’t close the cloud session. Does having an internet connection transfer data when I’m using Pro tools? I can maintain a connection but I can’t pay for constant data transferring. I would need to disable cloud backup which I don’t use anyway but I don’t know how to do that.
ILM closed? How exactly? Do you have an iLok 2 or 3 ready to put a license on? It's all academic until you have that. Anf old "P" key shaped first generation iLok will no longer work with Pro Tools.

Again what version of anything do you actually have? Are you asking about Pro Tools or Pro Tools First? Pro Tools First only support cloud based projects. Pro Tools support projects or sessions. More explanation is in the Pro Tools reference Guide. You are posting in the Pro Tools 12 forum section. Are you really using Pro Tools 12, what exact version? (not all support cloud sessions) First 2018? Ultimate 2018?

You said earlier you are using Pro Tools 12 but Jeffro did not see that associated with your account. So do you have multiple different Avid or iLok accounts?

If you choose to work in a cloud project then obviously it uses the internet as you work. If you work on a local session, with an iLok then the internet is not involved.

If you choose to use a cloud licensing then it communicates a small amount of data as you are working to support licensing. Your choice to do that or use an iLok.

You have to work out how to close the cloud project and get yourself set up properly.

There are a pile of stuff in the Pro Tools Reference Guide and online FAQs and other information on Avid's web site you can search through that explains all this stuff and more. Including this https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...laboration-FAQ