Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2020, 08:43 AM

Default Home atmos set up requirement

I'm setting up a small mix room for music, broadcast and home theater Atmos (Netflix).

I'm using the 708i for L-C-R and 705i for surrounds. The front speakers will be sofit mounted and i will be sitting 6 feet from them.

Should i go for 45 or 60 degrees between the mix position and the front L and R ?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2020, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Home atmos set up requirement

Hi,

Have a look at Section 2 (Technical Requirements) of the Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment Studio Certification Guide available here:

https://developerkb.dolby.com/suppor...-certification

These specifications are public whether or not certification is desired.

30 degrees between Left<->Center and Center<->Right is optimal.

Best,
Adam
Old 03-13-2020, 02:24 PM

This is sort of related was in the latest VK email, intersting read, I was expecting a bigger room. Nice setup.
https://vintageking.com/blog/2020/03...47719738905350
Old 03-14-2020, 03:11 PM

Thanks a lot for that link..interesting read indeed, i wonder what are the dimensions of that room. Looking at the pictures, it's seems similar to mine.

The acoustician recommend 55 degree, instead of typical 60, between L and R front speakers from the mix position as i'm doing post and music.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:47 PM

Indeed, that room seems to be small. Anyway, despite being a Dolby Atmos certification, it´s intended for HT. Most rooms at consumers homes are similar or smaller size, without the proper acoustics, correct monitor placement and room calibration. So in a way, it makes sense. Also, a lot of Atmos HT mixes will be heard through mobile devices, soundbars and smart speakers with some sort of binaural conversion in some cases, so the studio control room size for this sort of mixes is starting to become less important.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3