Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Default Calculate waveform - where are waveform views stored?

When using the workspace browser, many of the waveforms for my sounds show up gray when I open the folder they are in. It isn't until I audition them that they show up, or highlight them and right click > calculate waveform, but sometimes this selection is grayed out.

My question is, where are these calculated waveforms stored? Is there a file somewhere on my Mac that contains all the overviews for the sounds on my drives that are calculated? I should mention that I am running Pro Tools LE 7.4 on a PowerMac with OS 10.4.11.

I tried selecting right clicking and selecting "calculate waveform" on the folder containing all my sounds last night before going to bed. It started the task, but when I woke up and checked my Mac, Pro Tools had quit unexpectedly. So I don't know when it crashed or how far the process got before it did. But if I knew which file the waveform views were stored in I could see when it was last modified to get an idea how far it got before crashing, and possibly figure out which file is causing it to crash and remove it. I also want to be able to back it up in case I have to reinstall Pro Tools at some point. I also use the same drive with my sounds on it on a couple different computers with Pro Tools, so it would be handy to just copy the file the waveform views are stored in to the other machines instead of waiting for them all to run the calculation process on all my files.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Calculate waveform - where are waveform views stored?

BUMP

Would also want to know this.

I store alot of samples on a network RAID and search them in my Workspace Catalog i created from that directory.

However, even though i've calculated the waveforms they are outgreyed and won't show unless i play them or press "Update Database for selection".

But that kinda defeats the purpose. Any workarounds ?!?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Calculate waveform - where are waveform views stored?

The waveform data is part of the audio file itself. When you recalculate, make sure the audio files are on an authorized audio drive setup for recording. If it's a network drive or RAID, it won't work as ProTools doesn't work with non-local storage systems.