Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Waves 9... so far so good!

You don't have to use a dongle with Version 9 if you don't want to. You can authorize your hard drive and, when you need to work somewhere else, you can temporarily de-authorize your drive and put your auth's on the cloud in order to temporarily authorize the computer at the out of town studio. It's really a small price to pay for the security of knowing that there is no danger of losing them. You do not have the same security with iLok.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
You don't have to use a dongle with Version 9 if you don't want to. You can authorize your hard drive and, when you need to work somewhere else, you can temporarily de-authorize your drive and put your auth's on the cloud in order to temporarily authorize the computer at the out of town studio. It's really a small price to pay for the security of knowing that there is no danger of losing them. You do not have the same security with iLok.
This is how MC 6 works. You can activate and deactivate systems at will.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Yup I agree with Werner about that. Does anyone know what happens if you have the licenses on your local HDD and it "fails". My understanding is that you can recover all licenses once per 1 year? Isn't that kind of dangerous from Wave's perspective, though? Is it once per year "indefinitely" or until your WUP/Waves Support Plan is active?

Though there might also be the problem that a lot of the studios have strict firewall policies and don't actually allow communications over the public internet. Then again you can easily find a laptop, grab a USB stick and transfer it there and then simply plug that USB into the production machine. In which case Werner's view makes total sense again. Right...clearly I had too much coffee
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Just updated to Waves9 and the WLC keeps telling me that my username/password for the WavesAccount is wrong which is definitely NOT the case ! Works flawless on their webpage.

Of course the Waves v8 PlugIns got overwritten so I deleted waves folder and WaveShell9 and downloaded WOLI v8 and installed v8 again so that I could continue to work.

Of course I sent WavesSupport a note to help but havent got a response so far .... well it's nite over here in Europe.

Just as a quick information for y'all
Update: Waves support contacted me today and they changed my username which used to have an "ü" (u with umlaut) in it. So that was the problem with the new WLC-database

Running v9 now and all is fine :)
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Hmmmm... I seem to be the only person that's unable to get v9 working. Installed it the other day, and I was also having the issue with it looking for the v8 folder. However, it's also not finding my licenses no matter where I put them. I've tried my HD, amd 2 USB thumb drives so far with no luck.

I un-installed and re-installed v9 and that took care of the missing v8 folder issue, however it's still not finding my v9 licenses... I get a prompt to "Skip" or "Re-scan for licenses"... which just brings up the same prompt over and over. Ran all of the usual maintenance/repair procedures, and reformatted the one thumb drive... transferred the licenses back and forth from the "cloud" to my USB thumb and HD probably 50 times now... when I log into my acount on waves.com, or view on the WLC, it shows them as activated and where they are, but they still don't work. WTF! Ugh.

Contacted support on Tuesday, and still no word.
---
c
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
Anyone with Lion 10.7 using the new Waves 9 64bit?

Thanks
installed waves 9 yesterday on my system. kind of a rough start, I have to say. first of all, it messed up my pro tools prefs big time (mac freeze kinda crashes...), and it keeps crashing the system on a regular basis. to a point where i might have to go back to V8. PT 10 has been running nicely up until that V9 install

be careful when upgrading!

I do like the new license system, though. waves and ilok weren't exactly a match made in heaven anyway.
http://www.facebook.com/pettingzoomusicinc

Mac Pro 2019 Pro Tools HDX;
2x Lynx Aurora, 1x 192 I/O

'Only because you ARE a character doesn't mean you HAVE character' - The Wolf
Please rock!

Last edited by bernsense; 03-22-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: signature was outdated...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

I don't know if it helps any, but I'm on a Mac, and I always uninstall the previous version (v.8 in this case) using the Waves Uninstaller (in Waves Utilities). My v.9 upgrade went great. I don't know if it has anything to do with this.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I don't know if it helps any, but I'm on a Mac, and I always uninstall the previous version (v.8 in this case) using the Waves Uninstaller (in Waves Utilities). My v.9 upgrade went great. I don't know if it has anything to do with this.
thanks, I might give that a try. waves didn't say we needed to uninstall... they told me they have qualified PT 10.0, not 10.0.1 yet. maybe that's an issue... they also told me they haven't removed my V8 license, so I should have no trouble rolling back.
http://www.facebook.com/pettingzoomusicinc

Mac Pro 2019 Pro Tools HDX;
2x Lynx Aurora, 1x 192 I/O

'Only because you ARE a character doesn't mean you HAVE character' - The Wolf
Please rock!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM

So anyone who has gone through this process, what happens to my iLok v8 license? Is it surrendered in the process of going to v9?

Or will my old v8 asset still be on the iLok?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Everyone is making it sound like you get to keep your Version 8 on your ilok. But I'm wondering the same.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio