Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-18-2020, 12:44 PM

Default Side Chain Delay Compensation Issue Fixed?

Has the side chain delay compensation latency bug/issue ever been fixed yet?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Side Chain Delay Compensation Issue Fixed?

I'm on protools 12 still but has been an issue ever since they introduced delay compensation though. I might actually upgrade further if they fixed this but my hopes are not high.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Official word is SC compensation works on HDX but not on native. Some have reported it would be working on native but then again some others have reported it is not working. So I would take the official word for now.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 PM

is there any difference in like the ultimate native version from the regular or you have to have the hdx hardware and stuff?
Old 11-19-2020, 05:19 AM

I talked with Avid support about this issue maybe one or two months ago. First person I talked with didn't understand the issue at first and said it was weird that sidechain delay compensation didn't work (which I think we all agree that it is). The second person I talked with basically just said "this feature is not supported on native PT - you need HDX hardware to get access to SC delay compensation". Which is so insanely stupid imo.

When I was talking with the first person, I was able to try out a temp license of Pro Tools Ultimate, which we both hoped would fix the issue. But it didn't - SO PLEASE DON'T BUY Pro Tools Ultimate and expect it to fix the sidechain delay compensation, because it won't.

I also want to share the best workaround I've found so far for my use case. I almost exclusively use sidechaining for ducking instruments when the kick drum hits. So I'm using a plugin called Duck by Devious Machines and recreate/copy the kick drum pattern to a MIDI track. Then I trigger the Duck plugin using MIDI. No delay at all, works beautifully (for a workaround).

I really hope they fix this flaw soon. Every professional DAW should include this feature with no exceptions, in my opinion :)
Old 11-19-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Official word is SC compensation works on HDX but not on native. Some have reported it would be working on native but then again some others have reported it is not working. So I would take the official word for now.
does it work on HDX+ AAX-DSP versions only? or does just using HDX compensate for both DSP and native plugin side chains?
Old 11-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Word is if you have DSP mixer it does not matter if the plugin is native. Cannot confirm, do not have HDX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixwemmel View Post
I talked with Avid support about this issue maybe one or two months ago. First person I talked with didn't understand the issue at first and said it was weird that sidechain delay compensation didn't work (which I think we all agree that it is). The second person I talked with basically just said "this feature is not supported on native PT - you need HDX hardware to get access to SC delay compensation". Which is so insanely stupid imo.

When I was talking with the first person, I was able to try out a temp license of Pro Tools Ultimate, which we both hoped would fix the issue. But it didn't - SO PLEASE DON'T BUY Pro Tools Ultimate and expect it to fix the sidechain delay compensation, because it won't.

I also want to share the best workaround I've found so far for my use case. I almost exclusively use sidechaining for ducking instruments when the kick drum hits. So I'm using a plugin called Duck by Devious Machines and recreate/copy the kick drum pattern to a MIDI track. Then I trigger the Duck plugin using MIDI. No delay at all, works beautifully (for a workaround).

I really hope they fix this flaw soon. Every professional DAW should include this feature with no exceptions, in my opinion :)
I agree, its a naughtiness to support a correct adc only for HDX. Makes no sense.

But I can not confirm that "Duck" is working without problems. I use it all the time and like it. but when you use it on busses or after some other plug ins the plug in gets an "offset". This is another adc bug in protools with time based effekts. I often have to offset the midi track. :-/

It is described in the thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410911
Old 11-20-2020, 02:50 AM

I tried it with a de-esser just last week - No joy.
I have ultimate but not HDX
It's a shame
Old 11-20-2020, 07:36 AM

HD native seems to work.. no problems here with SC