Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditu View Post
Victory!!!

Although the studio is up and running im working with only one processor because HD Native has CPU Clock issues and i get -9092 errors, which are only fixable by turning off one of the processors.
the same result.
I'm running HD native card with 4 physical cores and I'm not having errors, even at 32 buffer. 64 buffer is smoother but 32 works. Maybe your computer isn't compatible? Also, isn't it on the list of compatible computers?
Best
Old 09-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I'm running HD native card with 4 physical cores and I'm not having errors, even at 32 buffer. 64 buffer is smoother but 32 works.
I'd like to echo this, I too run Native card and have H/W Buffer set to 64 Samples continuously. Make sure the RAM timings are spot on.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Hello.
I tried multiple times to update the firmware with no luck. I created a support but had not received an answer yet. Please let me know what's the procedure to update the firmware while still in OS Lion. I do have a Laptop with OS 10.5.X but no PCI express slot!?
Appreciate your Help.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Hello there!

@Brandonx1
Quote:
Maybe your computer isn't compatible? Also, isn't it on the list of compatible computers?
According to Avid's PTHD Native System Requirements:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=380543

It can't get anymore compatible than that (the CPU is a HP z200 Workstation)

@filosofem
Quote:
Make sure the RAM timings are spot on.
Wait ...Wha? how do I set the RAM Timings? please elaborate, this might be what i'm missing to fix the problem with the CPU Clock in order to avoid -9092 errors.

@KZK RECORDS

Did you tried this?
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...irmware+update

also did you have in mind this? you can't update HD Native Firmware from a Mac OS 1.6.8 or above:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=413371

My suggestion would be to install PTHD 9.0.5 in your Laptop.
- Connect your Laptop to your MacPro via Firewire
- Boot your Laptop as a target disk (Press the "T" key when starting up)
- Boot your Mac Pro using the OS from the Laptop as startup disk (Press "Alt / Option" key when booting up your Mac Pro).
- Proceed to make the Firmware update.

Again thank you for the info and the help.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Wait ...Wha? how do I set the RAM Timings? please elaborate, this might be what i'm missing to fix the problem with the CPU Clock in order to avoid -9092 errors.
Can you list your system details please. Or better yet post a sandra report (hardware).
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
There's a kbase with info on solutions for errors like these:

kb419331

If multiple tried to update the firmware are failing (per the instructions in that kbase) you may need to contact support by phone for further assistance.
except support was completely useless on this issue. between being on hold for god knows and being bounced around between 'departments', finally someone told me to just keep trying the update over and over like the kbase said. Despite the inherrent illogical nature of this fix, i did... and i kept count: 50 times. no success (if not a tribute to my stubbornness)

I am a little pissed off that Avid expects this to be an official qualified fix. I ended up fixing it by installing it to a friends mac pro (not macbook pro, which is the laptop, tgunn), and it accepted the update after the 3rd attempt. His mac pro was running snow leopard (10.6.2). Once the firmware updated successfully, I was able to open Pro Tools on my windows machine.

This was probably the most daunting problem I've ever had to overcome as a Pro Tools user in the last 6 years... Avid, PLEASE work on this problem in the next version of pro tools.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
@KZK RECORDS

Did you tried this?
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...irmware+update

also did you have in mind this? you can't update HD Native Firmware from a Mac OS 1.6.8 or above:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=413371

My suggestion would be to install PTHD 9.0.5 in your Laptop.
- Connect your Laptop to your MacPro via Firewire
- Boot your Laptop as a target disk (Press the "T" key when starting up)
- Boot your Mac Pro using the OS from the Laptop as startup disk (Press "Alt / Option" key when booting up your Mac Pro).
- Proceed to make the Firmware update.

Again thank you for the info and the help.
Thanks Aditu.
I had to buy a copy of snow leopard and should arrive within a few days (could not use an installer disc from another mac pro) I'm planning on installing the SL OS in an external firewire HD and boot the MAc Pro from there. Thanks for the Target suggestion! I'll try that if the HD fails.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZK RECORDS View Post
Thanks Aditu.
I had to buy a copy of snow leopard and should arrive within a few days (could not use an installer disc from another mac pro) I'm planning on installing the SL OS in an external firewire HD and boot the MAc Pro from there. Thanks for the Target suggestion! I'll try that if the HD fails.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
If your computer is a recently purchased one that came with Lion on it you won't be able to load SL on it; something about Apple messing with the efi. Target mode - don't know if that'll work. Let us know if it does.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
If your computer is a recently purchased one that came with Lion on it you won't be able to load SL on it; something about Apple messing with the efi. Target mode - don't know if that'll work. Let us know if it does.
Although musicman691 is right that you can't Install an earlier version than the one that the computer came out with, my suggestion is to install a bootable OS onto an external drive and fire it up as a target mode which CAN be done (it was the fix i used)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i'm not sure if your newly purchased SL copy will work either, Apple is known for updating its SL boxed in parallel to the download-able releases, so you might get in your mail a copy of a Full OS 10.6.8 installer which is again the version you can't use to fix the firmware.

Best regards
Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Success! After tons of trial and error and even going as far as switching out the motherboard for more PCIe slots, I managed to fix my installation and upgrade to 9.05 on Windows 7 x64.

* I removed all but one of my four memory sticks (from 16GB to 4GB).
* I "underclocked" my machine to 2.8GHz!

I've got an intel i7 2600K @3.4GHz. When I slowed it down to 2.8GHz and re-ran the update I noticed that the progress bar made it slightly longer than usual. So I ran it a few more times and... success!

Hope this helps someone out there.