How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Default PRO TOOLS LE 8 - Authorization Code - Yosemite Support

Hello,

I am a recording hobbyist who has recently returned to laying down ideas via my old software - PRO TOOLS LE 8, and old hardware - MBox Pro 2.

I have 3 questions:

1) My MacPro runs on Yosemite. Will I be able to install LE 8 and record? I'm not looking for support, just to be able to record ideas through the Mbox.

2) I've moved 3 times since first purchasing PRO TOOLS LE 8 and have since lost the authorization code. I have a Registration ID, Serial Number, even a Third Party Content Activation Code. I don't believe I ever registered the product as I was never really serious about using the software. Can I receive a new authorization code?

3) If 8 works on Yosemite and I can get a new code, do I need an iLok for this version?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 PM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS LE 8 - Authorization Code - Yosemite Support

LE is not likely going to work after a dozen or so OS changes. The good news is, the Mbox is still supported, so you can buy new software. Depending on your budget, you can spend a little(Reaper or Harrison MixBus), or a lot. But if you REALLY want to stay with PT, I think you will have to buy 11(and I'm not even sure THAT will work well or not). Look for this link in the top section of this(and every) DUC page:
Software Updates, Drivers, Manuals, Compatibility, Optimize, Troubleshoot, etc. (Links)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS LE 8 - Authorization Code - Yosemite Support

LE 8 is not support on Yosemite, and is very unlikely to be worth the hassle trying to get this museumware working on Yosemite. I would not even try to install it as you may get yours system in a mess.

You already know how to use LE 8 right. And you never used an iLok for it before, right... so no it does not need an iLok. Your Mbox 2 interface is the license dongle for Pro Tools LE.

What you likely need to do is upgrade to Pro Tools 11. Avid currently has fire sale pricing on upgrades to Pro Tools 11. You will need your Mbox 2 hardware serial number to do that. And you need to be sure that serial number has not been used to upgrade before, but if you've owned this since new you know it has not. And no Pro Tools 11 is also not yet officially supported on Yosemite, but it will run. You need to get familair with how to read Avid's compatibility matrices... see the top of this web page, and also understand all the systems requirements (especially memory and the need for a dedicated audios/session drive... although with modern PCIe SSDs you can get away with a lot just using the system drive).

I don't *think* you'll run into any issues not having registered LE 8 before, but I am not 100% sure, others can weigh in here.

Pro Tools 11 is all 64 bit and uses AAX-64 plugins and is totally incompatible with any RTAS plugins you might have. So check what plugins you have now, what Pro Tools 11 comes with etc. and if any third party plugins you have now offer upgrades to AAX-64. You can also get an eval/demo license for Pro Tools 11 from the Avid web site to check out if you need to before purchasing the upgrade. You need an iLok 2 to run Pro Tools 11 or the demo.