Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Procedure to Transfer Used Hardware/Software

That is the old policy has now changed as of today it is now.

Registration of Pro Tools HD software Plug-Ins and Optional Software Not Transferable

Avid will not transfer product registration for used Pro tools HD software, plug-ins or other optional software from the original owner to another owner. Transfer of iLok authorizations by buyers and sellers can be done at www.iLok.com. Transfer of iLok licenses are between the individual parties. Avid will only register software purchased by the original owner, and only when purchased from an Authorized Avid Reseller.
Transfer of Pro Tools HD licenses is NO longer ALLOWED under ANY circumstances.

Authorized US Avid Resellers do not sell Avid products on eBay.com or other online auction sites in the US. If you purchase a Avid product from an online auction site, you may be purchasing from someone other than an Authorized Avid Reseller, and your software product may not be registered.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM

^^ is this HD only software?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
That is the old policy has now changed as of today it is now.

Registration of Pro Tools HD software Plug-Ins and Optional Software Not Transferable

Avid will not transfer product registration for used Pro tools HD software, plug-ins or other optional software from the original owner to another owner. Transfer of iLok authorizations by buyers and sellers can be done at www.iLok.com. Transfer of iLok licenses are between the individual parties. Avid will only register software purchased by the original owner, and only when purchased from an Authorized Avid Reseller.
Transfer of Pro Tools HD licenses is NO longer ALLOWED under ANY circumstances.

Authorized US Avid Resellers do not sell Avid products on eBay.com or other online auction sites in the US. If you purchase a Avid product from an online auction site, you may be purchasing from someone other than an Authorized Avid Reseller, and your software product may not be registered.
This has been mis-quoted before. And is mis-quoted here. The document referred to here (from AVIDS "Transfer of ownership" page, though it is MISQUOTED) refers to PLUGINS AND OPTIONAL SOFTWARE (NOT Protools software). The ACTUAL quote is:
"Registration of Plug-Ins and Optional Software Not Transferable
Avid will NOT transfer product registration for used plug-ins or other optional software from the original owner to another owner."
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM

The Avid Policy changed June 10, 2013 - the website has not been changed to reflect that. What I posted was the official statement from Avid CS responding to my inquiry to transfer the HD system I sold last month. I was forced to refund the buyer after he returned the cards. as it sits now I can sell the cards but the buyer can never upgrade.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM

My Avid PT10 HD license transfer issue is solved. Thanks so much Matt and Eric from Avid! I have so many thoughts bouncing around in my head about why this happened, how it was presented to me as a "issue to deal with inside Avid", the technical reasons for the glitch, the piracy concerns with the glitch and so on. It was an amazing fiasco but in the end the two guys dealing with this issue were super nice and very helpful. I have my opinions on why Avid is doing this and if anyone would like to know the inside scoop on how to navigate through it, let me know.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM

I have a CPTK license I'd like to sell and transfer ownership of. Are they saying that this is not possible now? It was possible when I bought it, and registered it. It needs to be possible now unless they want a lawsuit.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM

OK. I'm thoroughly dumbfounded that AVID can't chime in to clear this up (As apposed to users covertly revealing "if anyone would like to know the inside scoop on how to navigate through it, let me know") There are PLENTY of Protools users with TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS (strike that-HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS-strike that MILLIONS in the case of large post houses with Media Composer/Protools/Euphonix integration) invested in AVID products. If these users were asked to purchase systems that had NO RESALE-ABILITY these users would say uh...NO F'n WAY. SO, AVID can we get a clear concise response to the question: "How do I transfer my (often substantial) investment in AVID software/hardware to another user"?

jeeze! It seems to me that it would be ABSURD to think that AVID would not facilitate these transfers reasonably and efficiently since they would in effect be creating new customers for their future products.

PLEASE CLARIFY AND PUT AN END TO THIS CONFUSION AND MISINFORMATION (mainly so I can post my personal HD Accel system with a clear conscience)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
jeeze! It seems to me that it would be ABSURD to think that AVID would not facilitate these transfers reasonably and efficiently since they would in effect be creating new customers for their future products.
BINGO!!

If I can't sell and transfer my CPTK license to another user I will throw it in the garbage. I do not need 2 HD systems, nor will I be paying for 2 for the rest of my career. If I sell it, and then that user upgrades their PT9 or 10 license to HD then they WILL be paying the upgrade fee for as long as they use the product.

What are we missing here?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
BINGO!!

If I can't sell and transfer my CPTK license to another user I will throw it in the garbage. I do not need 2 HD systems, nor will I be paying for 2 for the rest of my career. If I sell it, and then that user upgrades their PT9 or 10 license to HD then they WILL be paying the upgrade fee for as long as they use the product.

What are we missing here?
I'm actually NOT complaining about AVIDs (long standing) policy of NOT allowing software only transfers. This is the way it has ALWAYS BEEN. It's just that PACE facilitated mass piracy on the part of people selling off their backup licenses and AVID/PACE has now put a stop to it. I'm FINE with limiting transfers to software only when paired with hardware (again-as it's always been). I just want them to clarify how it's done.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I'm actually NOT complaining about AVIDs (long standing) policy of NOT allowing software only transfers. This is the way it has ALWAYS BEEN. It's just that PACE facilitated mass piracy on the part of people selling off their backup licenses and AVID/PACE has now put a stop to it. I'm FINE with limiting transfers to software only when paired with hardware (again-as it's always been). I just want them to clarify how it's done.
First off, it's not OK to sell someone a 2K piece of software that is not transferable. In fact there are EU laws against it. I just looked at the box my CPTK came in, no where on it does it mention this. Not once was it mentioned to me during the sale that it was not only not re-sellable, but would be discontinued within ONE YEAR!. Secondly, now they appear to be NOT allowing those of us with HD accel hardware to sell the hardware with the software, meaning that the HD hardware is completely useless. And third, why on earth was it ever possible for people to sell backup licenses in the first place? That's crazy!! Who dropped the ball on that one? And why should someone like me who paid retail from an Avid reseller be punished for the actions of a disreputable few, that were enabled by Avid's own incompetence in the first place?

It's pathetic