Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Let me get this straight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
And I am curious... PTHD 8 comes with a backup iLok license... does PT9HD come with a back up license? If so, the ability to run my main rig at PT9, AND PT9 on my laptop would be pretty cool!
Sorry but that's not the case...

Since there is no more "hardware restrictions" lots of backup auth go to eBay.

You just get one!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 11-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Complaining about a slightly more level playing field is grotesque
I think the complaints are about spending $15,000 plus and getting left behind (so it appears at the moment, I still think new cards are coming).
Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
I think the complaints are about spending $15,000 plus and getting left behind (so it appears at the moment, I still think new cards are coming).
Maybe the 350eur for practically zero workflow enhancements for a majority of the HD users while thrashing the value of their investment can be considered a bit offensive? (Sure, 350 is not gobs of money but it's more than many previous updates with actual cool new feature sets - and those updates did nothing to devalue said "premium product", that had actually costed premium thus far)

Sure, if there are new cards on the way and they totally blow away native for many many years while fixing all of the current "imbalances" (an expanded HD system being less powerful than HD Native in certain scenarios, due to voice count and voice dependency etc)

*and* the upgrade from current gen PCIe- Accel cards was silly cheap, like a grand or 2 max... *Then* I wouldn't complain.
(As otherwise it seems that getting such cards would not make sense to many over just switching over to native, however super them cards might be)
Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
That is, indeed, correct (well, there's a couple new minor features...), but we think having that ability is worth the price.
Can you please explain what specifically makes it worth $100 more than the LE cross grade?

(Notably $141 here in France).

Looking forward to knowing the reason,

David
Old 11-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Yes i've bought all those options as well and i want the midi fix from PT 9 but £290 UK pounds for a midi fix

There should be another upgrade path for those who bought digi translator and the other options for pretty good $$$$$

Chris
+1
Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM

I would like to officially object to the price of the HD upgrade too!
I paid for v8 which still isn't working properly over a year and a half later.
There aren't any major features or fixes here. At least with v8 we got all those great new plugins (Air fx, Boom etc) which made the upgrade price more than worth it.
This time there doesn't seem to be anything of worth and the upgrade price is nearly twice as much! No new plugs..nada.
If we had got Heat, Structure or a new TDM reverb or something for free I could understand it and it would have been a nice thank you/sorry for all the v8 trouble.With the price of the upgrade I could buy a UAD card for goodness sake.
Considering I am still waiting for the stability 7.4 had, it is a tough cookie to swallow.
I'm not trying to put a downer on the amazing new way Avid is going. I applaud PT9 for all the other users..it must seem like Christmas for them. However as a loyal TDM user for 10 years, I feel very let down and feel we are bearing the brunt of the upgrade price which is essentally a minor bug fix for us (cs release?!)
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
However as a loyal TDM user for 10 years, I feel very let down and feel we are bearing the brunt of the upgrade price which is essentally a minor bug fix for us (cs release?!)
Exactly how many of us feel.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
Exactly how many of us feel.
More problematical is the 3000 Native Card.

What if you already own Pro Tools? The argument can't be that the software is worth 2500 and is bundled with the card, if you already own the program???

The card is going to have to be sold separately for less, certainly they are going to have to rethink this.

TH
Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of problems with the current situation. Many big positives too, but when your not on the receiving end it can feel like your just getting shafted.

Hopefully there is something great around the corner for us HD users who have invested a lot of money in our systems. I can't believe we are getting left out in the cold and Avid is going to just ignore are concerns. I know it seems like that at the moment, but I don't think anyone should go selling your cards just yet. I think you might end up regretting it.

Avids got a plan. It doesn't make any logical sense to put a TDM only feature (HEAT) in your new software if you know you are going to abandon TDM.

Hang in there everyone and hopefully we will all feel good about the final outcome.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:35 AM

I jumped at the chance when I saw this -

Pro Tools software feature comparison

The 5th bullet down in the Audio Production column says -

"Core Audio/ASIO support (up to 32 channels)"

PT HD 8 is shown as not having this ability, and PT HD 9 as having it as a new feature. So this is something new.

To me, this implied that HD users now got access to 32 I/O when using Core Audio for Logic, Cubase, Reason etc. I can see no other possible interpretation of this chart.

Nothing could be further from the truth though - we've still got the same old pathetic 8 I/O. Only way you can get that 32 I/O is by plugging in a another interface!!!!!

Totally and utterly misleading.

I was happy to pay the upgrade just for this (there's nothing else in it for me) - but I've been shafted.

Sorry we've been shafted.